Author Topic: Maths problem  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Maths problem
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 04:43:16 AM »
it still works ie if you have 2 of 4 then you have a total of 8 and when you have 3 of 4 you will have a total of 12 - you used a fraction in your example but it works with whole numbers too

I understand this, but I am referring to its place in the BODMAS hierarchy/precedence. If it means "Multiply by", then it is 4th. If it means "Of", then it is 2nd.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online naughty

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:51 AM »
I understand this, but I am referring to its place in the BODMAS hierarchy/precedence. If it means "Multiply by", then it is 4th. If it means "Of", then it is 2nd.

it did not have the x (times) sign inbetween the number and bracket so its not multiply by so it isnt fourth but while OF still effectively works as if it is multiplication where theres a number before a bracket its that number "OF" (effectively times) whatevers the total inbetween the brackets

either way IMHO whoever came up with the 3/4 reply essentially has a fair understanding of the concept of "OF" in BODMAS

Offline ALF

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
I still cant figured out where I when wrong 30 years ago by failing my maths over and over again because we have some of brightest people in this country and also on this forum and we cant figure out this simple example of 101 maths questions.
So I said 0.75 and not 3/4 because for me 0.75 is more a value as 3/4 (an equation) as in the original question ( what is the value of x )
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
Hehe,well,at least we have figured out that the only answer is 3/4 (or .75). Those who say 12.attended the reading lesson instead of the maths one...   :nono:

But then,as Curlycat can attest,the REAL answer is always 42...  :giggle:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
thats HONESTLY how I remember it also...  but apparently now it's basically just left to right???  :thinking:  Still confused.

Now I know why I never went into teaching. I won't have the patience for it.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Or I would get fired.

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 09:20:30 AM »
This shouldn't be as much of a puzzle as it appears to be. There is nothing inherently "right" about the competing answers it's a matter of convention. If the convention can be told so as to be understood it will be believed (to steal a phrase from Terence McKenna)
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Yes,it seems the (internationally accepted) convention of the bomdas rule is either ignored or misunderstood,by using a L to R convention,which seems to come from jumping on a calculator,rather than applying accepted rules.

Very worrying,if this new 'convention' appears in our text books!  :nfi: 
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline 2wice

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
Yes,it seems the (internationally accepted) convention of the bomdas rule is either ignored or misunderstood,by using a L to R convention,which seems to come from jumping on a calculator,rather than applying accepted rules.

Very worrying,if this new 'convention' appears in our text books!  :nfi:

Correct, 'Murica changed the convention and interpretation of historical math symbolism. The answer is 12 in the USA and 3/4 anywhere sane.
Unfortunately, this does not make the US answer wrong, Maths is a language that will evolve as all linguistics do.
The huge influence US academics have on global thought means the answer will soon be 12 everywhere, unfortunately.

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
I tend to disagree. In this simple math problem there is a definite answer, and only 1 correct one. If one replaces the problem with a real world description using apples and pears, the answer cannot be 12 or 0.75 apples. Only one is true.

If we were talking quantum math, probability math,....then yes. But this is basic algebra.

In computer science, your computer does not actually solve the equation the way you normally would, but uses the concept called "reverse polish notation", but that is for another thread.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 05:18:36 PM »
I tend to disagree.

You might disagree, and I'm fully onboard with you, but soon all children will be taught that the next step in that expression is;

6/2*4

There is precious little you can do about it.

This is why

Google
https://www.google.co.za/search?q=%3D6%2F2(1%2B3)&oq=%3D6%2F2(1%2B3)&aqs=chrome..69i57j6j0l4.16830j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

or

Wlfram|Aplha
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6%2F2(1%2B3)

Better to accept and start learning the "right" way :P

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »
Another ‘MAGA’ move?  It will be interesting to see what India and China do
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online BJ

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
I am listening to Another Brick in the Wall.......and All of a Sudden....IT MAKE PERFECT SENCE :whistler:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline goonchild

• AVForums Super Veteran
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »
I saw in some or other thread where someone asked what is the value of x in the equation below.
What do you guys say?
x = 6÷2(1+3)

Here I am, late to the party as always.

The answer is 12.

Brackets next to (or 'touching') another term indicate (by shorthand) only that that term and the product/sum etc. of the stuff inside the brackets must be multiplied together, which means that the goodies within the brackets have to be evaluated first. So, the equation fully written out is

x = 6 ÷ 2 × (1 + 3) = 6 ÷ 2 × 4.

Now, because the remaining operations are of equal precedence, the 'tie', so to speak, has to be broken - by applying the left-to-right rule:

x = 3 × 4 = 12.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 08:37:33 AM »
x = 6÷2(1+3)

x = 6 over 2 x 4

x = 6 over 8

x = 3 over 4

0.75 surely?

PS.  Maybe we were taught incorrectly in the 80's / 90's