Author Topic: Maths problem  (Read 1444 times)

Offline LouisF

Maths problem
« on: September 07, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
I saw in some or other thread where someone asked what is the value of x in the equation below.
What do you guys say?
x = 62(1+3)
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline packrat

Re: Maths problem
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
X=3/4
"You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass"
Frank Sinatra

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro

Offline Neil

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
i believe its only when you multiply that the amount in brackets becomes null and void, or something like that ?
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY SS-CN3 Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.

Offline ALF

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
0.75 or am I missing something
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »
BODMAS: 0.75
BOMDAS: 12

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
The issue is not BODMAS or BOMDAS,..... multiplication and division is inverse of  each other, but the actually rules states.....

Actual rule: Multiplication and division are inverse operations and as such need to be treated equally. When confronted with multiplication and division, always work from left to right.

Reference:: https://extranet.education.unimelb.edu.au/SME/TNMY/Arithmetic/wholenumbers/operations/orderofops.htm

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
^^^ yeah, apparently the "modern way" -  so after you calculate the bracket inner .... x= 62 X 4 = 3 X 4 = 12.
However, when I was in school (over 20 years ago) i am pretty sure we were told that that the divide would have applied to the whole "term" to the right .
Basically the same as x = 62y

Offline LouisF

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »
The issue is not BODMAS or BOMDAS,..... multiplication and division is inverse of  each other, but the actually rules states.....

Actual rule: Multiplication and division are inverse operations and as such need to be treated equally. When confronted with multiplication and division, always work from left to right.

Reference:: https://extranet.education.unimelb.edu.au/SME/TNMY/Arithmetic/wholenumbers/operations/orderofops.htm
So someone with an honers degree in maths told me, yes. x = 12
BTW, she teaches maths to matrics, i.a.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »
^^yeah,  busy tutoring my daughter in math. School syllabus =12

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »
Judy:  OH DEAR!

Figures and operations in brackets take precedence, as in a separate calculation. (Certain brackets take precedence over others, but never mind that for now). This is followed by x or , and lastly addition/subtraction of the separate entities.

Thus, from:  x = 6 + 2(1 + 3)
   Firstly: (1 + 3) = 4
then: 6 (2 x 4);
   This becomes either 6/8 or: (6 2) /4, both resulting in  3/4

To get 12 the correct precedence of the brackets calculation is not followed. ALL of the 2(1 + 3) is under the 'prescription', not just the (6) 2. One cannot multiply by 4, one must divide by 4.

(The latter kind of precedence seems to be the one taken by the government .... oops; sorry!)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »
.75 here.  There really isn't another answer.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
Judy:  OH DEAR!

Figures and operations in brackets take precedence, as in a separate calculation. (Certain brackets take precedence over others, but never mind that for now). This is followed by x or , and lastly addition/subtraction of the separate entities.

Thus, from:  x = 6 + 2(1 + 3)
   Firstly: (1 + 3) = 4
then: 6 (2 x 4);
   This becomes either 6/8 or: (6 2) /4, both resulting in  3/4

To get 12 the correct precedence of the brackets calculation is not followed. ALL of the 2(1 + 3) is under the 'prescription', not just the (6) 2. One cannot multiply by 4, one must divide by 4.

(The latter kind of precedence seems to be the one taken by the government .... oops; sorry!)

thats HONESTLY how I remember it also...  but apparently now it's basically just left to right???  :thinking:  Still confused.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
Simplify, collect like terms, brackets first.