Digital TV help needed

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietpetoors

Reaction score
I do not watch TV and I completely lost track with the new technology

My wife likes to watch a movie over a weekend.

We are building a new room and decided it is time to spoil her with a new tv which I might even hook up to one of my amps.

BUT I have no cooking clue how these things work nowadays.

My aim is to
1. get something flat to the wall which does not take space, we still have one of those normal old TVs, but haven't used it in 2 years because we use the computer to watch a movie.
2. See if I can get rid of a TV completely so I do not have to waste money on SABC licence.

I understand one can now watch a movie directly on a TV via the internet. Now I wonder why does the shops still call the unit a TV and you must have a license for it, if you do not use a broadcast signal no more why dont they just call it a multimedia monitor?

I see you get something like a streaming box, so you do need a computer to download or stream the movie
I see all streamboxes does not support all the sites you can stream from
It seems like a digital TV do not need a stream box, it can download and stream directly, do I understand this correctly? Are all digital TVs like this?

I do not have a large enough wall for a projector, so I will have to stick to a TV/monitor

Q1. Do one get something like a digital TV which are not called a TV, or can I create this by using a very large computer monitor paired to a streaming box?
Seems like same size computer monitors are double the price of a TV.

Q2. If I do get a digital TV , what is a good option? We only need like 40 or 50", nothing big.

Any suggestions would help.

The electricians will be here next week Tuesday to cut chase the walls for the plugs, so I need to decide what I will do so I can tell them where to put how many plugs.

Latest posts