Vintage floorstander plinth with a tilt advise needed please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Julian_S

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all.

Please help some advise and perhaps even someone that can do for me.

I?ve been playing around with positioning etc for the vintage Yamaha ear set for quite sometime now( months ) and I am now closing in on how I like them ( sound wise ).

So the final for my taste ends up being a lift and tilt.

Let me try explain.
I lifted the speaker and tilted it about 20degrees which is based on the idea used in the jelabs OB.
I have three challenges that bother me a bit.
1- I don?t want to do anything to the original enclosure that is not fully reversible or serious ... bear in mind these are rare vintage items.
2- I would like it to remain tightly coupled to the ground so a typical speaker stand won?t work. remember they were designed to remain tightly coupled to the ground. 
3- I would like adjustable spikes/rubber feet since my floor is natural stone hence uneven, but the gap any alignment creates between enclosure and floor needs a method to close it ( I was thinking a leather curtain / bumper etc ) so it remains again tightly coupled

Anyway ..

Here is a pic of what my current testing looks like ..
this is just a small brick or two at the front bottom to lift the front and the polystyrene to close the gap at the bottom to a degree as well as put on the back wing section.

568cba84fcc4af27bfa53e120a93a32e.jpg

So I?ve been thinking and searching for ideas and am down to three options here.

1st is to copy something like the Daan jakobs feet in the ref 3.
I really like how the Daans sound so I suspect such legs would still fit my tastes .. I would however have to cover the entire gap created below the speaker with a leather or sound curtain or something so the speaker remains coupled to the floor ...
here is some pics of the Daan legs.
6c7a256c664032404045d1e29610d3c4.jpg

They look like solid wood of some kind.
Here is another closeup showing how the sections join...
33c88e092026d52d99b2e1489e2ffa1f.jpg

With these Daans I would have to attach to the bottom of the original enclosure so not a big issue since that can be fully reversed again.

Option 2 is something that I think is a bit overkill and will most probably be irreversible if done .. if that?s the case rather not ..
this is the Shindo style legs and they can be adjusted as well.
b7f5c5d82f9efe0d6c24ab71a819252d.png

d07c35d875980b2b408ee02d49b64b8f.png

The 3rd and last option is most probably what I should do ?

Something like this
a4c3ad173ea84ee424346c28824e92d6.png

Or
29b0bbfe2c55f5d4ef1123dc56ce98ea.png

Any thoughts ?

Latest posts