Klipsch 28f vs Monitor Bronze 6 vs Paradigm vs B&W 683 S2

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have recently joined the Forums, and the last week have been pretty much down the rabbit hole, but has been awesome so far.

So I was hoping I could get input from the boards, as you may have seen from earlier posts, I am in the process of gathering info (by way of these forums & others, various interwebz resources & demo'ing) for an imminent upgrade to my Sony HT system.

The upgrade began with the AVR from a Sony 7.1 STR DH520 to a Marantz 5012.

I am now looking at speaker options, the upgrade will begin with the left & right floorstander, and hopefully I'll be able to do the centre at the same time,  followed a while later by replacing the 1 current sub for 2 new (OR adding an additional sub to this current, but in all honesty I'd rather just bring in 2 units the same & not have to worry about phasing and, and, and) & then lastly the 2 surrounds will be replaced...much further down the road I will look at potentially adding some form of Atmos either front or ceiling height.
The system is used almost entirely in a HT setup watching either Netflix, or own media via Bluray or NAS server (& I can say the only time I listen in stereo is when the content is provided in that manner) so some content on netflix is stereo, but I can say that I don't think I've listened to a CD on this system ever, but do watch a lot of live bluray concerts. my room is an upstairs loft, that measures 5x8 and there are pictures linked in imgur in another post.

As mentioned in other posts, I heard a pair of Klipsch 280f at a friend's place, they were good...but they didn't blow me away and actually found them to be extremely bright and tiresome on the ears.
I then demo'd a pair of the Klipsch 28F and they absolutely blew me away, I found them to show very little brightness (or sharpness) and had no noticeable fatigue when listening, infact I found them to be a pleasure to listen to.
I went back sometime later & listened did another demo of the Klipsch 28f again & again they sounded really superb (& to be honest at this stage I wasn't considering any other speakers) but after this demo, the guy then demo'd a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S200's and they too sounded really fantastic (they seemed "clearer" (isn't the right term) but less 'base-y' than the Klipsch, but for their size as they are much smaller put on a very impressive performance, but my only issue is that the Monitor Audio Silver s200 are just out of my price range, so I am looking at the Monitor Audio Bronze 6 (I am yet to demo, am hoping to do so this weekend to compare) & really these were what I was looking at.

on the suggestion of a retailer they mentioned the Paradigm but also haven't ever heard them or no very little about them (I will demo them as well to compare) & on the recco of Mr.C on the forums via the heads up forum a pair of B&W CM9 came available as pre-owned I wasn't even considering B&W speakers as always seemed out of price range, but now I see a retailer in JHB is having a sale on the B&W 683 S2's (slightly more than the 28f's, and also slighty more the bronze audio MA) I am going to demo them this weekend to get a feel if they warrant the extra spend.

But basically would appreciate any input or feelings on the above models from forum members, & where you would prefer to put your cash.
I am looking to spend R14k on the fronts (upto R19k if it's warranted for the extra quality) but ideally my sweet spot is a max of R16k which will allow me to then spend R5-6K on a decent centre to match
I am very aware of the "brightness" of the Klipsch, the 'musicality' of the MA, but have very little on the Paradigm or  B&W other than than internet reviews and any further light you could shed would be helpful

thank in advance!

Latest posts