Author Topic: In-Ear-HeadPhones and IEMs - For the Converted  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Jaxxon

Re: In-Ear-HeadPhones and IEMs - For the Converted
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
Sorry for the delay in answering.

My 1964 ears are the model A3 with three drivers.

They are stunning to listen to even though they have bee superseded with a range of dedicated audiophile monitors (at ridiculous prices).

You have to go to an audiologist to get a set of ear moulds made and send them in.

They then make your IEMs to be perfect for your ears.

Jaxx

Offline Tikkeltokkel

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 10:24:56 PM »
If I have a good pair of in-ears I am willing to “sacrifice” - can an audiologist mould any pair to fit my ears or must the donor pair have some parameters they must meet to work?
Plenue P1 128GB DAP
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
STAX SR Lambda Signature
Marantz CD5001
Onkyo TX-NR646
Sonor Audio VKII, Pleiades, Polaris
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H2 Headphones
Bose QC35 II
Ultrasone Pro 900
Transparent "the wave" speaker cable
Paradigm Sub

Offline xenithon

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »
If I have a good pair of in-ears I am willing to “sacrifice” - can an audiologist mould any pair to fit my ears or must the donor pair have some parameters they must meet to work?

An audiologist would not fit an IEM to your ears unfortunately. The only part they will play in the process is to make a mold of your ears which you then send to a custom IEM (CIEM) manufacturer who would make a pair for you.

As alluded to above, you also cannot take an existing IEM and make it a CIEM. You'd need to specifically order a CIEM from one of the many producers on the market these days. So you get a mold done here, ship it to them (usually in the US or Far East), they custom make the pair for you, then ship it here.

Offline Tikkeltokkel

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 08:33:52 AM »
Thanks , damn ...
Plenue P1 128GB DAP
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
STAX SR Lambda Signature
Marantz CD5001
Onkyo TX-NR646
Sonor Audio VKII, Pleiades, Polaris
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H2 Headphones
Bose QC35 II
Ultrasone Pro 900
Transparent "the wave" speaker cable
Paradigm Sub

Offline canman1971

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

Some In-Ears / IEMs are not suited for custom mold, manufacturers will state in the product line up Universal fit range or Custom fit range.

Universal fit: The tips used are extremely important as the bevel at the end of the tip acts as a pre-mixer (Comply, Spiral Dot, SpinFit, Final etc), all which have a rather large impact on the sound signature, like Ear-Pad rolling on Over-Ear Headphones.

Custom fit: Pre-mixing is carried out prior to the mold.

PS: I know someone who went custom mold on universal fit, was a total disaster. These in-ears were not cheap, the molding exercise was equal to the price of the in-ears. To protect the manufacturer i cannot disclose the Brand - these were the specs on the in-ears:

Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 30 kHz
Sensitivity: 125 dB SPL/V

The molds remain un-used.

Not an Audiologist - draw on information from manufacturers.

Offline Momo

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »
I am converting,selling my last set of headphones,looking at the likes of Campfire Audio,currently using Hifiman Re400,love these but i am looking for an earphone with a little bit more bass more of an all rounder but something that could better the RE400 in the mid to high frequecy range.

Been reading up on the Campfire audio range Comet,Polaris,Jupiter seem to atleast on paper be an improvement i am looking for.

I used to have a pair of B&W c5 s2 in earphones and hated them,bass bleed is something i do not like,the Hifimans topped them at half their price.

majority of my collection of good quality files is Jazz,bit of Folk & Blues but im looking for something that can do Hip hop,R&B well too.

Any other suggestions you guys have would be highly appreciated

My DAP is an Astell & Kern Ak 70,love this thing!

Online naughty

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 05:20:44 PM »
what would be a good mid tier type of IEM for use with an entry level DAP like a Fiio M11? .... I know that Gler uses a set of FH5 but is there anything else that anyone that can recommend which wont cost Andromeda amounts of money that would work with a DAP like this or an M9 DAP

Offline ron g

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »

sennheiser ie800 is a very good iem option & can be had at very good pricing 2nd hand.

especially if you like a bassier type signature with no harshness or fatigue. super comfortable & i could listen for hours with no issues when i had mine.

there are a lot of fakes in circulation so do your homework before buying.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline gLer

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 06:46:24 PM »
what would be a good mid tier type of IEM for use with an entry level DAP like a Fiio M11? .... I know that Gler uses a set of FH5 but is there anything else that anyone that can recommend which wont cost Andromeda amounts of money that would work with a DAP like this or an M9 DAP
FiiO have just released the FH7, which is their flagship hybrid IEM and comes in at $500. If that’s too rich, maybe look at one of the other promising Chi-Fi stars like the BGVP DM7 or Moondrop Kanas Pro. I’ve also heard good things about the Campfire Polaris, though like the FH7 I’m not sure what your cutoff price is for ‘mid-tier’.

As for daps, the M11 is actually a high-end dap with mid-tier pricing. Don’t let the price fool you, it goes toe to toe with the likes of the HiBy R6 Pro and iBasso DX220, priced at $799 and $899 respectively.
Desktop: Mac mini >> Audirvana >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Auteur/HD800 + Mobile: FiiO M11 >> FiiO FH5

Offline Coenoes

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 07:46:37 PM »
Wife is bringing me a pair of Tin Audio's from London. Have never listened to anything else except the cheapies you get with cellphones. Don't know what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Online naughty

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 12:37:09 AM »
FiiO have just released the FH7, which is their flagship hybrid IEM and comes in at $500. If that’s too rich, maybe look at one of the other promising Chi-Fi stars like the BGVP DM7 or Moondrop Kanas Pro. I’ve also heard good things about the Campfire Polaris, though like the FH7 I’m not sure what your cutoff price is for ‘mid-tier’.

As for daps, the M11 is actually a high-end dap with mid-tier pricing. Don’t let the price fool you, it goes toe to toe with the likes of the HiBy R6 Pro and iBasso DX220, priced at $799 and $899 respectively.

:thumbs:

the FH7 is definitely on my shortlist for a set of IEMs  ;)

Offline Momo

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
How are the other Fiio in ears

Offline gLer

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
How are the other Fiio in ears
FH5 is excellent, so is the FA7. All depends on the sound sig you're after. The older FiiO's (F9 Pro etc.) were said to be harsh, but you never know unless you listen for yourself. You can get great audio for not a lot of money (like the Tin Audio T2/T3 for ~$50).
Desktop: Mac mini >> Audirvana >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Auteur/HD800 + Mobile: FiiO M11 >> FiiO FH5

Offline Momo

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
Just read reviews on the Fh5 and Fa7 & still find it difficult without a listening session. Price wise one could opt for the CA comet too

Offline gLer

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »
Just read reviews on the Fh5 and Fa7 & still find it difficult without a listening session. Price wise one could opt for the CA comet too
Yep, unfortunately in SA it's hit-and-miss. Literally none of the popular "decent" IEMs are available to try in SA, other than maybe Campfire and FiiO (C-Plan, if they have demo units).