Lounge Lighting help?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi All,

Once again I am hoping to pull on the experience of the you here who know a **** load more then me when it comes to all of these things.

I want to redo the lighting in my lounge, being a ginger I can't see fokol in the dark so really want to spend some good bucks and do this right.

Now, the situation is this, in my lounge on the wall are 2 small switch cavities, each switchplate (I think that's what it is called) has 2 switches:
- upper left switch - lounge light 1
- lower left switch - outside light
- upper right switch - kitchen light
- lower right switch - lounge light 2

What I am looking to do is replace those so that I can have:
1 panel with a switch (for outside light) and dimmer (for the 2 lounge lights)
The other panel with a dimmer for the kitchen lights

I know with the dimmers I need a small transformer, now my roof in the lounge is solid concrete (it's a double story) so there isn't really space for any. Are there any small form factor transformers that can fit into that wall cavity when I want to switches? What are my options here?

And then as for the lighting, I want to replace the cheap crappy "2 spot" lights that every cheap house in creation is built with, with some decent lights, mainly looking for something nice and neat with 4 spots each with those super small little halogens (I think that's what they are) in them. Would there potentially be too much current draw or anything like that?

As you can see, I clearly don;t have enough experience here....