valve / tube life span ??

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey chaps

I had a globe in my store room which did its job reliably for years. Light the room. Until a ladder accidently whacked the fixture and shattered the globe. It was only after a matching globe (same brand and same purchase date) was installed did we realise how dull that previous globe had become during its use. I use this example of the globe as, to me, a globe and a hifi valve / tube are similar as they both emit heat, light and pass current. Reason behind this line of thinking is for years I have heard stories of tubes degrading with every use, and that these are having to be constantly swapped out. To me, as a tube noobie, that sounds like a headache. Is this true when they are used in a pre-amp / music situation? Does the music become less so because of an "aged" tube? Do I need to stockpile a collection of potentially delicate tubes to maintain the level of musicality I am enjoying now, or do I stay with quality solid state that has never failed me. I recently got a Woo Audio headphone valve pre-amp, and as lovely sounding as this little thing is, these "worries" now shadow my enjoyment of it.
Any thoughts or opinions based on your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts