Author Topic: Music file errors  (Read 909 times)

Offline Rhino

Music file errors
« on: August 10, 2018, 03:03:10 PM »
I am currently experiencing errors on some of the songs on each album.
I never had the problem before, but the past few weeks it started telling me that from each album between 1 to 4 songs are corrupt and cannot be played.
It does not matter what software I use for playback, Foobar, Windows media player, PowerDVD 12 etc.

What can the problem be?
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Katji

Re: Music file errors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »
Seems like the hard disk is failing.  I hope you've got a backup.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »
You might have some corruption on that hard drive.

Suggest copy the entire album to another storage device, like a USB stick and play it from there.

You might as well check the drive for integrity while you are about it
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »
After copying, test the flac files using http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:01:28 PM »
You might have some corruption on that hard drive.

Suggest copy the entire album to another storage device, like a USB stick and play it from there.

You might as well check the drive for integrity while you are about it

I have done Error Checking in windows but it says all is good.
Is there other software that can check this (freeware).
Thanks
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Keeg

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
What version of Windows are you running?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
Windows gives you the best guess.   There are much better HDD checking programs.  Try HDD scan

Put the drive in another computer.  Actually, what I do is use a USB device which plugs into the SATA drive and I can read the disc on a PC or MacBook.  Saves fiddling about

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »
@Rhino, the disk itself may be fine but the file system corrupted.  The answer here is simple... copy the contents of the drive to another drive and test the files using the tool I referenced.  At least then you have a known position iro the data side of the equation and can decide on best way forward.  If the files are good, check the drive with something like http://hddscan.com/ and then decide on a course of action.  First course of action is get the data that you can copied off the drive and test it for integrity.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »
@Rhino, the disk itself may be fine but the file system corrupted.  The answer here is simple... copy the contents of the drive to another drive and test the files using the tool I referenced.  At least then you have a known position iro the data side of the equation and can decide on best way forward.  If the files are good, check the drive with something like http://hddscan.com/ and then decide on a course of action.  First course of action is get the data that you can copied off the drive and test it for integrity.

Thanks, I will do as mentioned above. I do not want to rip more than 350 albums again.
Will keep posted on the results.

Offline Larry

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
I do not want to rip more than 350 albums again.

I'm afraid the old mantra applies here, "backup, backup, backup".

The other mantra being, "test restore, test restore, test restore"

Offline Rhino

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
Seems like my laptop hdd is packing up.
I have tried 3 different HDD checking software (cannot remember exactly what it is called).
Know I am looking at the options on the market that is good.
I have read the the Seagate FireCuda 2.5" 1TB is very good.
Any one else have some recommendations?

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 12:19:54 AM »
The 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2.5" would prob give you better cost per gig. https://pclinkshop.co.za/product/seagate-2tb-25-firecuda-sshd-sata-6gbps/
Have you considered a proper/full 256GB/512GB SSD and an 2TB to 4TB USB powered external?
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Rhino

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 02:17:39 PM »
The 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2.5" would prob give you better cost per gig. https://pclinkshop.co.za/product/seagate-2tb-25-firecuda-sshd-sata-6gbps/
Have you considered a proper/full 256GB/512GB SSD and an 2TB to 4TB USB powered external?
My laptop does have a 256GB SSD in but also a 1TB harddrive to store other info.
I also do have a 3TB and 1TH portable HDD as well.
But I do like to keep my music on the laptop as well.
According to the laptop specs, I can only add an 1TB HDD.

Thanks for the info and response.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
Up to about 3 years ago, you could only get 2.5" drives up to 1Tb, hence the spec.   Now you can get 3Tb in that size.   What is the make and model of the laptop?

Offline Rhino

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
Gigabyte P17F V3