Author Topic: Katana  (Read 977 times)

Offline kolakidd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Katana
« on: August 05, 2018, 10:30:26 AM »
Very excited to see that the Katana has launched. Will Also be bringing it into South Africa via PiShop?

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Katana
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Damn it - thought we were talking about legendary motorcycles for a moment!  :giggle:

Online Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
Damn it - thought we were talking about legendary motorcycles for a moment!  :giggle:

+1 - me too!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline kolakidd

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks guys. Just blown two hours of my Sunday. Must.stop.looking.at.bikes

Offline Wietsche

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
Very excited to see that the Katana has launched. Will Also be bringing it into South Africa via PiShop?
Not sure if you have seen, but under the Allo.com board there are some discussions about the Katana, and some pics.. :)

Watch the space :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »
Oooops

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »
Oooops

Many memories of those. At one stage my dad owned about 20 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
Wietsche started a Katana thread under the digital section.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Heinrich

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • silence is golden, but ductape is silver
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
Oooops

exactly what i was thinking when i read the heading.
someone told me that i can make ice cubes with left over wine.
i am confused, what is left over wine?

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »
Wietsche started a Katana thread under the digital section.
Hi,

Thanks Scubadude fornthe mention!

If you guys want to have a look at the Allo Katana and follow the progress, here is the link. Hope you find it interesting!
 https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,73522.0.html

This is the commercial section, and I think it is meant to contain threads/topics started by the commercial members, in this case Allo.com, where they can provide support, news updates and showcase us their new products. Not saying you are wrong to post here. Not at all. Myself also started posting in the general Allo DAC section about the Katana. But I asked to be moved out to the general Digital section since my review is purely personal and independant. Allo did provide the demo unit, but there are no strings attached. I just volunteered to have a look at it since I like their products and own two of their products already. Super interesting stuff!

I am just setting the record straight early on so there is no confusion about my motives.

Your comments are most welcome! I would love some suggestions and see if I can accomodate them or improve my own testing process if possible.

Have an awesome week!

Cheers,
W

PS: Love the bike! I own a Honda though :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline kolakidd

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »
My question is addressed at the supplier, I want to know if I import from them now, or wait for it to come into the Pishop. The lead time on the website indicates stock may be slow to get out to suppliers, so an idea of the time it will take to get to the SA market would be cool. Pishop's prices are excellent, and I would rather support a local supplier.

To be honest, the threads in the digital section do get lost within a few days, so I thought the supply info would be useful here.

In terms of reviews, doc's, spec's, et al, I'm good, I've been following the dev on this unit across other forums since it was announced. I have a Boss running off a diy dual linear setup I built and I'm really happy with it, so I want to try out the Katana with the quad power setup with sequence startup controlled by Aurdino.

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 01:19:50 PM »
My question is addressed at the supplier, I want to know if I import from them now, or wait for it to come into the Pishop. The lead time on the website indicates stock may be slow to get out to suppliers, so an idea of the time it will take to get to the SA market would be cool. Pishop's prices are excellent, and I would rather support a local supplier.

To be honest, the threads in the digital section do get lost within a few days, so I thought the supply info would be useful here.

In terms of reviews, doc's, spec's, et al, I'm good, I've been following the dev on this unit across other forums since it was announced. I have a Boss running off a diy dual linear setup I built and I'm really happy with it, so I want to try out the Katana with the quad power setup with sequence startup controlled by Aurdino.

Hi Kolakidd,

Sorry, I commented and then I went a bit off topic there. It tied into other threads and comments. My bad.  :facepalm:

What you are doing sounds super interesting! I was thinking of a passively delayed circuit to power up the two supplies in sequence. I would like to actually know what the delay should be and what the actual effects are if all boards are powered on exactly at the same time. For quad PSU the Arduino is a great solution.

Can you share your Boss DIY LPS plans? If possible, post it to my review thread. With the Katana needing more than one PSU, it makes building a dual PSU worth it for the capable users.

Offline kolakidd

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »
Okay, now you have me in a bind, you're forcing me off topic :)

it's a pretty basic psu based off lm1084, and I'm sure it's close to the design in the spec doc, I had a few lying around, so I built two from spare parts. I think I may actually buy some LM1085 for the new PSU's. In terms of timing, I have an Arduino timer I have already built, it's super simply, basically just triggers a few relays, my gut feel is that you aren't going to get a standard timing, you're probably going to need to test the units to find the optimal times.

Offline ALLO

• AVForums Member
    • ALLO.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »
Hi to all and please excuse the delay in replying.
As some of you have noticed, we have suspended KATANA sales.
See notice here :

The Katana is a complex DAC that offers multiple filtering and powering options.The pursuit of the best sound quality is what drives our design team and the reason behind our recent decision to halt manufacturing of the late KATANA.
A new version, the 1.2, is in the works and will only have a few components changed resulting in a subtle, yet necessary SQ improvement.
Please note the following:
No orders will be accepted for the next 14 days.
Already received your KATANA? A new one will be sent to you once the K1.2 is released.
Already placed an order ? You will be soon contacted by our customer support team.
Thank you for your understanding.

technically...
We improved the LPF on summing opamp. Small improvement in SQ
We improved filtering before analog stage . Medium improvement in SQ
We improved noise escaping DC/DC convertor. Not quantified yet
We connected earthing to board (with Nirvana PSU it will be automatic). Removal of some HF and better trebles . I would say small improvement but clearly audible
Adding some 220uF caps to analog stage. No improvement

KATANA 1.2 is being finalized and ready to ship by the end of the month.

I am not sure what RPIshop will do , audio is not their #1 focus...
as mentioned before, we could maybe get organized here and put together a group buy ?

what do you guys think?

regards
Andre

Andre
CMO
ALLO.com
kali / boss / digione / usbridge and more...

Offline kolakidd

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »
I'd be in for a group buy, if there isn't enough interest I'll buy from your site using AGS, so it's no big deal either way.