Author Topic: Identify a Philips radio  (Read 223 times)

Offline El Sid

Identify a Philips radio
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
On Facebook (Hi-Fi Marketplace South Africa) I found an old Philips radio that had been extracted from a radiogram, which I bought to help restore my brother-in-law's B6X63a (How restorable is this? Philips B6X radio).

The faceplate is almost identical to the B6X62a, which is a "head" only, but the chassis/electronics are different. For one thing, this one does not have FM. It was made for the SA market, as it has SA cities on the tuning scale, but I can hardly believe that they would have developed a completely different circuit and mechanics just for SA.

I have scratched around on the interwebs for ages, but can't find which unit it is, and the nameplate has come off the back. Here are some pics:

The B6X62a: (it is electrically and mechanically identical to the B6X63a I'm restoring)

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
Re: Identify a Philips radio
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
Very interesting...

Have also been down a similar road some moons ago. Theres a multitude of models and found a website that has numerous models listed with cct diagrams but without pictures of the units, and couldnt find the one I needed, looked for similar models and had to settle on the closest one based on valve lineup.

If its a working unit that just needs cosmetic restoration and electrical reliability restored, then from an electrical perspective, its generally the black/brown wax electrolytic capacitors that need to be changed and not much else, maybe a check on the can capacitors and restuffing them with new electrolytics if needed, or under-chassis substitutes if space allows and check out the valve rectifier and the capacitive network across the output transformers, I had electrolytic caps strapped on there.

There shouldnt be anything wrong with the tuner cct itself except for valves that may be a bit weak, but this is documented as being very rare, they usually are fine.

Best of luck !  :thumbs:

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
Re: Identify a Philips radio
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
I still have a glass faceplate somewhere that I saved.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.