MixFm vs Hot 91.9 vs LM Radio vs whoever

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vleisman

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been a fan of MixFM for a while now, while also being aware of Hot 91.9. I always preferred Mix, the DJ's were cool and the style of music was more to my taste. Things have recently gone down and now I find myself listening to Hot more and more. I still prefer the music style of Mix, but their current crop of DJs is not my best. I still like Tony Blewitt and the interplay with his partners, Saskia V is good in my books.

Shaun/Sean Brokenshaw is outstanding, the best show on radio by a country mile for my money, but he's been moved to some obscure time in the weekend afternoon when I hardly ever listen to the radio. The rest of the Dj's are average at best and one or 2 of them play music that doesn't resonate with me. Add to that the endless, repetitive adverts, the childish chit-chat especially on weekends and the mostly uninteresting 'interest' inserts and I just couldn't be bothered with MixFm most of the time.

The problem with Hot 91.9 is their signal isn't great. They have some really good old-school DJs and not too many adverts. The music style isn't terrible. I guess I'd say they are pretty much the best FM option available in Gauteng.

Which brings me to LM Radio. Their recent move to SA has been a bit of a mixed blessing. The new style and format isn't as good as the old, but it's way better than Mix. Again the MW signal isn't ideal, but it'll have to do. I miss the old LM Radio quite a bit.

As for UJFM, Radio 5 (I still call it that to upset them) Metro, Jacaranda, *spit* Highveld, et al - I won't even go there.

Latest posts