Author Topic: Nakamichi turntables worth?  (Read 896 times)

Offline Orior

Nakamichi turntables worth?
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
Hope this is the correct place to post this. 

What would a working Nakamichi turntable be worth in South Africa?
I know Nak made the TX-1000, which seems extremely rare and the Dragon CT.  Were there any other TT from Nakamichi?

Does anybody in SA have the equipment to service these babies, espacially the centering mechanism?

Offline Orior

Re: Nakamichi turntables worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
Just for the record, I don't have one to sell. I am trying to determine what will be a fair price should I come across one.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:17:41 AM »
The little I know:

There were only the 2 models. They were built with outside help from either Micro Seiki or Teragaki-I forget which.

The correcting mechanism can be notoriously unreliable for a Nakamichi which probably means only slightly less than bombproof by Western standards.

The only one I ever came across, that was sold used, was by Roy Davis (now High End Audio) to an overseas buyer.

In the early 80s South African audio was heavily influenced by British products and press. As the most jingoistic, malicious and plain worst magazine at the time, Popular Hi Fi, pronounced the (hugely expensive) Nakamichi to be worse that a Rega Planar 2 ,sales were probably not good. Make nothing of this, Popular Hi Fi also claimed that the freebie (AT sourced) Linn Basik cartridge was superior to the Koetsu.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:25:22 AM by Agaton Sax »

Offline El Sid

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »

Offline Orior

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
Thanks for the info so far.

I do know someone with a Dragon CT in starage but he will not sell it to me. He say it is promissed to one of his friends in Germany.

Still no idea on pricing but it doesn't seem likely that I will find one in SA anyway.   If somebody does know of one, please let me know.

Online Marc Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
Due to its extreme rarity, high original price and quite likely excellent performance, it would be worth about $2000 but would quite likely fetch considerably more on auction.  Bearing in mind, top Nakamichi cassette decks (CR-7, 700ZXL and Dragons) at full spec - eg just serviced by B&W or ES Labs, go for well over $1000 all the time (and they are intrinsically more complex than turntables).  It's a big enough world for people who know what they're bidding on, will cough up the entry fee without flinching.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
Orior..
only ever saw a dragon once for sale here
Last month on avsa for 15k.

I was drooling ...

http://www.avsa.co.za/advert/nakamichi-dragon-cassette-deck/

Anyway I am still happy with my cheapskate LS5 a ..

Would still like you to help me look at my 580m or is it 82 .. at some point ..
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline gapco

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 10:25:56 PM »
Thanks for the info so far.

I do know someone with a Dragon CT in starage but he will not sell it to me. He say it is promissed to one of his friends in Germany.

Still no idea on pricing but it doesn't seem likely that I will find one in SA anyway.   If somebody does know of one, please let me know.

Are you're talking about the Dragon cassette deck I had in storage ? Unopened in it's original box, that sold to a buyer in Belgium. I had a TX 1000 TT it too unopened in original box. Sold to a Japanese collector. At the moment I'm restoring a Dragon TT. Already sold to the same Japanese customer.
Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline Orior

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »
Hi Gennaro. Yes you are the only one I know who had a Nak TT, and now I hear you had more than one.  How i wish i was from Japan.

Offline Orior

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »
Due to its extreme rarity, high original price and quite likely excellent performance, it would be worth about $2000 but would quite likely fetch considerably more on auction.  Bearing in mind, top Nakamichi cassette decks (CR-7, 700ZXL and Dragons) at full spec - eg just serviced by B&W or ES Labs, go for well over $1000 all the time (and they are intrinsically more complex than turntables).  It's a big enough world for people who know what they're bidding on, will cough up the entry fee without flinching.
Thanks for the info.  Moror less what I suspected.

Offline Orior

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »
Orior..
only ever saw a dragon once for sale here
Last month on avsa for 15k.

I was drooling ...

http://www.avsa.co.za/advert/nakamichi-dragon-cassette-deck/

Anyway I am still happy with my cheapskate LS5 a ..

Would still like you to help me look at my 580m or is it 82 .. at some point ..
I am looking for a Nak turntable, Dragon CT of TX1000, not to be confused with the Dragon cassette deck.

Can still assist with your deck.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
ooh the TT is also called dragon .. apologies...
Ja imagine in Japan night find these things in pawn shops .

Tx sire
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Orior

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »

Ja imagine in Japan night find these things in pawn shops .

Don't think so.  These were made in very limited quantities, the Tx1000 being more rare than the DragonCT I believe