Author Topic: Sansui AU-999 Restoration  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Sansui AU-999 Restoration
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
Shot Gareth, you've done an excellent cleaning job there. My laziness precludes such fine work, but you have inspired me!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline afroaudio

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:06 PM »
Nice work Gareth! Amazing you found two of them  :dop:

Good to hear you checked out the Audiokarma threads... I got a lot of help over there when I did mine a few years back and the mods are more than worthwhile. Those little low frequency rolloff tag strips must be gotten rid of to get some bass reproduction.. I also recapped mine entirely and got rid of all the "flying saucer" small signal transistors. The early triple digit series is just so solidly built and just sound right.. many say there is good synergy with B&W.

These are the little circuits which start rolling off bass at about 200Hz... one on each channel.. they must go!

DSC_0709 by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr

My 999 when it was work in progress:

DSC_0913 by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
Awesome stuff Gareth! I'd love to get my hands on one too.

On a more contemplative note, I wonder what it is about restoring things that is so satisfying to some of us? Whenever I see an old piece of kit i want to fix it up - hence my string of works-in-progress. For example my old B&O system of Beogram 1000, Beomaster 1000 and Beovox 2400 that I restored makes me very happy - I have it set up in my office and listen to it all day. It sounds good to me, but even a modest modern system would I'm sure be a lot better.

I couldn't help looking up the company on that badge - they are Danish as it turns out, and still around: Quali-Fy
Thanks El Sid.

Yip I have no idea what it is about restoring these kinds of things but it is so enjoyable to sit and take it apart and clean each little part. Probably spend 5 hours last night. Was really enjoyable. My lady can't understand how I can sit with a toothbrush for hours and a piece of metal and have so much fun.
It is great that you enjoy your setup so much. Keep searching, they are out there. Good luck

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
Shot Gareth, you've done an excellent cleaning job there. My laziness precludes such fine work, but you have inspired me!

-F_D
Ha ha really good to hear. Would love to see the before and after pics when you start yours. It is really fun to sit down and get stuck in to it.

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
Nice work Gareth! Amazing you found two of them  :dop:

Good to hear you checked out the Audiokarma threads... I got a lot of help over there when I did mine a few years back and the mods are more than worthwhile. Those little low frequency rolloff tag strips must be gotten rid of to get some bass reproduction.. I also recapped mine entirely and got rid of all the "flying saucer" small signal transistors. The early triple digit series is just so solidly built and just sound right.. many say there is good synergy with B&W.

These are the little circuits which start rolling off bass at about 200Hz... one on each channel.. they must go!

DSC_0709 by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr

My 999 when it was work in progress:

DSC_0913 by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr
Wow!! Yours looks brand new. Good job with that. What are your views on pre and post recapping in terms of sound etc?
Did you do it yourself? I'm afraid I am not yet skilled to attempt that. Would like some more detailed guidance as to the circuit removal. Very happy with mine at the moment but that time may come.

What speakers have you used with yours?.

I am using the B&W's right now. Have tried the AR38'S. My B&W DM5's are coming back this weekend and Merle says they are sounding amazing so keen to hear them. Should have the KEF Chorale's soon which I'm sure will sound great too.

On the hunt now for speakers from the same Era as the 999. Big boxes, large drivers and nice real wood veneer. Would love some recommendations especially if something is available for sale

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
One of the larger SP Sansui series may be suitable.. Should meet the requirements, similar era vintage and would be up to task.

Offline afroaudio

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
Tx Gareth.. yes I was lucky to get a unit in really clean condition.

I did everything myself.. not my first recap but I would say that the 999 is by far one of the easier amps to work on as the boards are all mounted as cards into molex type connectors.. no de-soldering to pull them out and work on. I did find the recapping freshened up the sound quite nicely. I know some people frown on this type of thing but I want the amp to be in as new condition and able to run on spec for another 40 years. I replace all the trim pots and replaced a scratchy volume pot as well with an Alps blue velvet type. Main power supply caps are 6800uF Nichicon KG Super Throughs. As for speakers I have not tried many.. but she powers my 12 inch Tannoy HPDs quite nicely with power to spare.

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Tx Gareth.. yes I was lucky to get a unit in really clean condition.

I did everything myself.. not my first recap but I would say that the 999 is by far one of the easier amps to work on as the boards are all mounted as cards into molex type connectors.. no de-soldering to pull them out and work on. I did find the recapping freshened up the sound quite nicely. I know some people frown on this type of thing but I want the amp to be in as new condition and able to run on spec for another 40 years. I replace all the trim pots and replaced a scratchy volume pot as well with an Alps blue velvet type. Main power supply caps are 6800uF Nichicon KG Super Throughs. As for speakers I have not tried many.. but she powers my 12 inch Tannoy HPDs quite nicely with power to spare.
That is very cool.

I think I am going to buy something cheap to start practicing on. Would love to gain enough experience to be self sufficient with some things.

Those Tannoy's must be amazing.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Zuidersma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Die Katze kam zurück, für die schöne Musik.
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »

On the hunt now for speakers from the same Era as the 999. Big boxes, large drivers and nice real wood veneer. Would love some recommendations especially if something is available for sale

I have a set of Jamo CBR1702's. Awesome vintage speakers. I will never selll them but have seen that range come up for sale now and then.
   JMZuidersma

Offline Marc Hugo

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
A simply magnificent amplifier.  Very desirable.  What's its mass?

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
A simply magnificent amplifier.  Very desirable.  What's its mass?
17.5kg's.

Offline Marc Hugo

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »
17.5kg's.

Thank you Gareth.  That's quite some heft!!  I also agree with Marantz123 on a pair of Sansui's sensational SPs from the late 70s, with magnificent walnut veneers and fretwork grilles.  Anything fro the SP2500 upwards.. if you can find a pair of SP3500s, they are sublime.  High efficiency, from a true in-room 20Kz to way above 20kHz.  To me they sounded rich, expressive with stunning air and detail in the HF.  Looking at the driver array, you'll see why they sound-stage is as good as you'll ever hear.  I'm pretty sure there would be several pairs in SA, but whoever has 'em aren't letting go.  Consider equivalent units from Pioneer or KLH.

Offline Johnnie

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
^^ Someday I will also satisfy my ambition to be a member of that club!  :thumbs:

-F_D

You are probably the president of that club F_D...

Thanks El Sid.

Yip I have no idea what it is about restoring these kinds of things but it is so enjoyable to sit and take it apart and clean each little part. Probably spend 5 hours last night. Was really enjoyable. My lady can't understand how I can sit with a toothbrush for hours and a piece of metal and have so much fun.
It is great that you enjoy your setup so much. Keep searching, they are out there. Good luck

I was lucky to find a AU-777A in very good condition with matching TU-777 tuner just last week..cleaned her last night also took about five hours of toothbrush work, fantastic how each knob has two grub screws to fasten it..