Onkyo TX-SR707 volume and settings problem

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petek

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I did not want to spam the forums so quickly with another self serving topic but I'm getting a bit rattled about my problem.  Now that I've signed up here with like minded people, who have more experience, I'm hoping I can get a few tips.

dotVIBE said:
any time dude, there are lots of us here who can help with that kind of stuff.

So here goes...

Same time I got my new Series 8 Samsung B850 I got an ONKYO TX-SR707 AV Receiver.  I always thought I would have gone Marantz but I got a sweet package deal on Onkyo/Polk.  Anyways, I love the Onkyo and it is very well regarded with 99% positive reviews.

Recently I had to ask the installer to come back as I had problems with my volume.  Just to make it clear I'm a fairly technical guy.  PC's, Linux, Mikrotik wireless setups, electronics in general, etc.  But I'm n00b when it comes to hi-fi equipment and settings.

When my system was first installed (and I mean settings/calibration only, I did the unboxing and placements)  the sound was 'loud'.  Volume was set to Relative and start-up volume set to 40db.  At this volume we could comfortably watch TV and all was well.  It seemed that movies would never even need to go past 70.  Then a few months ago things became 'muted'...watching movies at 100db!  Others on the net have complained about this as well.  It would seem my Onkyo reset and all the settings got screwed.  Or a combination of that and the Audigy setup mic, which is not supposed to be used with bi-amped speakers (I did not know this).

So the installer came out again recently and redid a lot of the settings.  I don't understand all of them but I made a note of what was what. 2 Weeks later and it seems it might have happened again?  Although the settings seem to be right.

I also find myself constantly switching between sound modes and I'm not even sure what should be used e.g. THX, Dolby D, All Stereo, etc.  I mostly use THX.  So I think if anyone would be kind enough I need a crash course on how to set this thing.

Last thing and not related to the above, is that the Optical ports on the back are very loose.  The installer tried another brand of cable and it did not make a difference.  He basically shrugged it off but I'm not happy because it's not clipping in as it should.  If I clean my equipment the optical plug could pop out and it's a mission to get round back.  I don't want to wait until my warranty has almost expired to sort this out if it's not right.