Advice needed on headphone setup

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my headphone setup consists of a iPhoneX and B&W PX listening mainly to .flac audio files (some hi-res) on a media server. Other occasional listening is done on Spotify.
Audio quality is important to me and I have heard my headphones vary quite some depending on the source they are connected to. I also know that due to the AAC support offered by Apple and supported by the PX I would need to convert my library to ALAC files to get the best out of the setup.... but surely there must be a better way to keep my .flac in tact and get better quality out of the PX's?

I have been looking at DAP's, portable DAC's and LG V30 cellular phones but I cannot get any concrete path that I need to follow in order to add value and higher quality to my current setup. Support for APTX-HD, the sound that I can expect from the PX in a wired configuration is all making my head spin.

I would like to aim higher in the headphones department at a later stage but for now the iPhoneX & PX as the source and headphone would most likely remain.

Any thoughts and inputs?

brgrds
Johan