Author Topic: Advice needed on headphone setup  (Read 424 times)

Offline Johan

Advice needed on headphone setup
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
Hi all,

So my headphone setup consists of a iPhoneX and B&W PX listening mainly to .flac audio files (some hi-res) on a media server. Other occasional listening is done on Spotify.
Audio quality is important to me and I have heard my headphones vary quite some depending on the source they are connected to. I also know that due to the AAC support offered by Apple and supported by the PX I would need to convert my library to ALAC files to get the best out of the setup.... but surely there must be a better way to keep my .flac in tact and get better quality out of the PX's?

I have been looking at DAP's, portable DAC's and LG V30 cellular phones but I cannot get any concrete path that I need to follow in order to add value and higher quality to my current setup. Support for APTX-HD, the sound that I can expect from the PX in a wired configuration is all making my head spin.

I would like to aim higher in the headphones department at a later stage but for now the iPhoneX & PX as the source and headphone would most likely remain.

Any thoughts and inputs?

brgrds
Johan

Offline Dhiveshan

Re: Advice needed on headphone setup
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
Hi Johan I'm a fellow newbie to the headphone game.  :) I have both the px and iphone x. I know they come with a cable but I'm not certain that it's possible to entirely by-pass the built-in amp. I can however, highly recommend you try out a dragonfly red as a dac. I find that it makes for a much more detailed listening experience.

Offline canman1971

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »
As a commercial member may i comment with links to products that bypass iPhone internals? - iPhone becomes a transport like DAP.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
Yes, please do.

Offline canman1971

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
Thank you Curlycat.

The FiiO Q1 MKII will bypass iPhone internals:

https://www.cplanaudio.co.za/collections/fiio/products/fiio-q1-mark-ii-native-dsd-dac-amplifier-for-iphone-ipod-ipad-ships-in-3-4-weeks

The FiiO Q5 will bypass iPhone internals:

https://www.cplanaudio.co.za/collections/fiio/products/fiio-q5-flagship-bluetooth-and-dsd-capable-portable-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-ships-in-4-6-weeks

Check out the review links on the product page.

Both these units are below amazon pricing with local point of contact, product support and warranty.

Offline Johan

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

Diveshan, I have read about the dragonfly red and there is some rave reviews but I echo your statement on the actual performance of the PX when using the supplied cable. One review in particular mention a “cupped” like sound signature. Have you experienced the same?

Canman, I have gone past the Fiio pages over the past days and must say I’m impressed to say the least. The q1 seems to be a nice entry into the dac world and if i can convert the iphone to be a dap it would be great!
Specific on the q5 and what I could not fathom, does it only receive aptx-hd or is it capable to transmit aptx-hd to the PX when plugged into the iphone with a usb cable?

I also believe what would help is a known increase in quality of the PX audio with the above advised dacs. There seem to be plenty reviews on other headphones using these but not any specific to the PX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline canman1971

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
Hi Johan,

Ive just sent FiiO an e-mail regarding your questions on the Q5 - I'm sure i will receive a reply during the course of tomorrow and will revert with the reply on this thread  :thumbs:

Offline Johan

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:50 PM »
Thanks!

Offline canman1971

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 03:29:36 AM »
Hi Johan,

Answer from FiiO below:

Q5 can receive BT signal, but can not transmit to other BT devices. That means that Q5 can receive music from the BT source such as our smartphone, but can not transmit music to the BT earphone/speaker.

Q5 doesnt support APTX HD. It support SBC, AAC, APTX codec.

Offline canman1971

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 03:32:23 AM »
This review link below will be a guide:

https://youtu.be/4Igw20mjKo4

Offline Johan

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Thanks canman! Appreciated! Will look at the review!

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!

Diveshan, I have read about the dragonfly red and there is some rave reviews but I echo your statement on the actual performance of the PX when using the supplied cable. One review in particular mention a “cupped” like sound signature. Have you experienced the same?

Not so much with the PX Johan. I do remember feeling this way about my P7s when they were new but the midrange seems to be coming in quite nicely as they burn in.