To sell or not for sale. I am an indecisive hoarder crow. The quad FM4

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croak

R.I.P. 28 June 2021
Reaction score
I have soft spots for some equipment models.  For various reasons. I believe I share this affliction with my fellow countryman AJ van den Hul too.  He has an attic full of wonderful audio gear. 

There is stuff I wanted when I was younger.  It was beautiful and bespoke.  Often no longer made quite the same way or it?s lost the soul along the way.  Hence the reason for wanting to hold on to pieces of the period. 

For eg Sonus Faber produced under F Serblin (except Electa, never quite liked its dumpy square look.).
Dunlavy Speakers. The Linn Axis.
Audiophysic under Joachim Gerhard.
The Krell KPS20IL.
Marantz CD80
The Quad 66 cd pre tuner system with table top remote. 
Some Theta Dacs and the basic transport. 
The Naim Arro arm.  The Nait (2 ideally).
Arcam Alpha CD.  Delta 60 amplifier.  There are others. 
I have some of the above and some would still make me race across town to be first to get there.

Another is the Quad FM4. Used by the Beeb to monitor broadcasts.  Musical and lovely sounding (for a tuner) beating NAD and Arcam.  Yamaha and Rotel tuners sound thin to me.  Marantz were not inspiring either.

I don?t really listen to radio on the proper HiFi system.  Haven?t had a tuner hooked up for 8 or more years there. 
So I thought I will never use that Quad FM4.  I should just sell it.  Took it from storage today.
Hooked it up to checks all is well.  It is.  And it?s sounding nicer than I remember any tuner I ever owned before. 
I still will likely never listen to radio on the proper HiFi.  But if I ever do it would be with the FM4.  I am now totally unsure of letting it go. I will not use it but my heart is warm knowing I have one and 2500 will just buy a month of fuel.  I am nuts.

8d5af2c3b035add400d9d49f4ccb1846.jpg

Latest posts