Author Topic: My DIY (commissioned) headphone stand!  (Read 1166 times)

Offline pandaattack

My DIY (commissioned) headphone stand!
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »
Hey guys!

Thought I would share this as I think it is absolutely awesome!

I was browsing some pictures on pinterest the other day and happened across a neat wooden headphone stand. I then showed the picture to a co-worker who loves woodworking, and heres the result:

Aaand with the new toys and dac/amp:

He primarily works with hardwoods, and had some Iron Wood scraps, which this is made of. Very interesting patters all over. I am really enjoying the piece.
I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline AdrianDeLau

Re: My DIY (commissioned) headphone stand!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »
Nice!

Can we place orders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
That's quite tidy!! Lovely wood!   I made mini height adjustable stands for computer speakers last weekend that are a simplified version of your headphone stand. I think.....this weekend....I shall make a similar stand for my headphones. Thanks for sharing that!

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
Nice!

Can we place orders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, I can ask my co worker if he is interested in making more. He does woodworking as a hobby, but any additional mandelas are always welcome I guess.

I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
That's quite tidy!! Lovely wood!   I made mini height adjustable stands for computer speakers last weekend that are a simplified version of your headphone stand. I think.....this weekend....I shall make a similar stand for my headphones. Thanks for sharing that!

Share some pictures with us. Wold love to see the mini height adjustable stands. We are renovating my Gfs lounge area soon, and need some speaker stands for the rear surround sound. Been looking everywhere for inspiration.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »
count me in if your co-worker agrees to take orders!

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
count me in if your co-worker agrees to take orders!

I think he has... The conversation at the very least indicated towards it.  I will get his particulars and post it here.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
Hi Pandaattack. Any update from you colleague? Im thinking of a slight modification  so it accommodate 4 headphones instead of two. Or maybe just get two.

Offline Michon

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
Something that concerns me about the use of headphone stands is that for all the time that the headphones are not in use, which is the majority of the time, the headband padding is still being stressed and, depending on the design, sometimes over a smaller area than it would have been when used on your head.

On some models this may not be an issue, but with others like HD600 stored on stands with a narrow contact area like these, the middle pads might become compressed more quickly than the outer pads. Has anybody experienced this from using headphone stands? Is the padding generally strong enough for this not to be an issue?

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
Something that concerns me about the use of headphone stands is that for all the time that the headphones are not in use, which is the majority of the time, the headband padding is still being stressed and, depending on the design, sometimes over a smaller area than it would have been when used on your head.
It's a valid point actually.  In the OP's defense tho, the top "supporting" piece does have a nice gradual curve to it which definitely helps in "countering" or "slowing down" the effect of this.  With that said, it would still be a bit of a "concern" with your heavier (more expensive) phones imo.  Not just the foam on the headband, but the eventual deformity of the headband itself "structurally."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:55:04 AM by PaganMcLoud »
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
Those are all fair points. The HD650s felt light enough that it would take a long time make an impression in the headbands. The AKGs had no concern, as they are too light to trigger their elastic bands. The other odd headphones are not heavy enough to make an impression.

I am sure if the headset is heavier, then this would be a bad way to store them.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
I wonder if your colleague could shape a broader top piece to mimic the shape of a head? But how to solve the support problem?

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
Hi Pandaattack. Has your colleague made any for sale? Any idea on pricing?

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »
But how to solve the support problem?
  I've had an idea for some time to solve this issue, perhaps I should have a prototype made.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Wietsche

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
  I've had an idea for some time to solve this issue, perhaps I should have a prototype made.
Post us a rough drawing..? I have the hanging type stands, like above, and the omega stands. Neither are perfect, both have problems in the form of material compression or causing permanent indentation marks. Original boxes or just flat on a paded surface still seems to me like the best way to store headphones.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk