Author Topic: Input needed: Projector or TV?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Simango4

Re: Input needed: Projector or TV?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »
@BiZKiT, awesome, i'll make an arrangement with you & bring my HD200X so i can have a good idea of the improvenent added solely by the grey screen since I already know the projector's black level on a white screen.

@RS4, I was open minded until the R40k price tag for a 100" screen threw me off the edge...cost wise, it's total overkill for an entry level projector like mine. The decrease in screen size from my current 108" to the R40k 100" is also undesirable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline RS4

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 09:59:25 PM »
I agree that R40k is expensive. The rewards are fantastic tho.

Buying a Slate motorized screen on its own is close on R70k, so the Solo at R40k is significantly better value. Bigger sizes are available, but the 100" is currently on special.

If you want, we can organize a Solo demo. My new demo room will have one on display.
Optoma
Cyrus, Dynaudio, Anthem, JL Audio!

:oppo: ?

Offline Simango4

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 10:03:28 PM »
I agree that R40k is expensive. The rewards are fantastic tho.

Buying a Slate motorized screen on its own is close on R70k, so the Solo at R40k is significantly better value. Bigger sizes are available, but the 100" is currently on special.

If you want, we can organize a Solo demo. My new demo room will have one on display.
Awesome, i'll arrange with you for a visit soon...Demos are lining up well

Thanks Gentlemen

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
I have for many years used my Epson EMP-TW2000 projector (yes, I know it's old, It's outdated, but was top of the range when I got it, and has & still is serving me very well), which provides amazing 1080p onto my very basic manual Grandview, nearly every single night for basic viewing (with a small lamp on in the room most nights & still got great picture) most weekends for sport during the day & in the evenings (I have blockout curtaining on the window in the room there is some ambient light let in when watching during the day but nothing worth complaining about).

During this time I had an old LCD 40" TV mounted in another room which I hardly ever used.

Now here is the rub...I hardly ever used the old mounted TV except for when I blew the bulb on my projector, which since 2016 I managed the following hours out the globes: 2016 - 1100hours, 2017 - 700hours & these were hours basically with the projector running about 2-3 hours every night & more over weekends & the globe went again in June this year... it got to the point where I am needing replacing a globe almost once a year (or watch it less OR decide to get a new projector with newer tech where the new globes last for over 5000 hours)

So I decided to sell my LCD TV, put that towards a decent smart UHD tv, replaced the globe in the projector and now watch the TV for all casual viewing, if I'm working with my laptop infront of me with it on, am watching any series or am not watching a movie I specifically want to watch on the big screen, it's all on the TV, and only when there is something specific that I want to watch on the big screen do, I pull the screen down, kill the lights & watch proper. My projector has become like the classic car you may keep in your garage & only take out on weekends on trips out for real enjoyment & not just every day viewing.

I do also realise that I will eventually need to replace my projector, but the thought of purchasing a new one...it's almost as if I have my car fully paid off & haven't been making installments for many years, and the thought of having to buy a new car & now make installments again...

In comparing the 2, even though my projector isn't 4K & the TV is, just the sheer size of the image I get trumps it not being 4K.

At the end of the day, budget, room size, light, when you do the majority of your viewing, what you are watching & even temp of the room (this is one lesson I learnt the hard way, had my room been cooler in general I am certain that my projector globes wouldn't have had to be replaced so often, I have now corrected this by installing an Aircon in the room) all play a part in whether to go Projector or TV...I have found great happiness with both & hope to continue to do so for many years!

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station