Wrote off my car - Looking for recommendations

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuz940510

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone

So, much to my annoyance, I was in an accident in my Forester about 2 weeks ago. I was turning onto a busy road and the back tyres found some standing water/algae. Started drifting, took my foot off the throttle (stupid mistake), back tyres grabbed traction, flicked the car around and slammed into a barrier. We were going a grand total of maybe 20-30km/h. The assessor at the panelbeaters has given a repair total of R101 000, which is way more than the value of the car, so it has been written off.

Depending on how much the insurance pays out, we may be able to buy it back and get it repaired privately, which is always cheaper than insurance totals, but i am not hopeful. As such, i am looking for recommendations.

I have an R80 000 budget for the car (not much for a decent car these days). The usual needs of safe, reliable and fuel efficient (less than 8 litres/100km) are all i really have. I do a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. Hopefully with a mileage of less than 200 000 km, unless it has been fanatically maintained. At least Forester 2.5 NA levels of performance would be nice, but is not a must-have.

Any suggestions would be great, thank you.

Cheers,
Kean