Author Topic: Buy on Gum selling on AVForum..  (Read 923 times)

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

Buy on Gum selling on AVForum..
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
Noticed someone bought an item on Gum and is now advertising it with a 210% mark-up here on AVForumSA... am I right to be a bit outraged? :thinking:

Should I say something on his sale thread? :thinking:

Offline NewMusic

Re: Buy on Gum selling on AVForum..
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
Absolutely.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
There are a number of folk here buying elsewhere, marking up and reselling here.  Don't buy if it irks you, nothing to be done to stop it.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
There are a number of folk here buying elsewhere, marking up and reselling here.  Don't buy if it irks you, nothing to be done to stop it.

It's the massive mark-up that is a bit much.. but you're right, none of my business if I'm not buying. :thumbs:

Offline stereosane

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »
It could be 200% markup but still selling at a reasonable price, if the price is right Iím not bothered if the seller is making a R1000 profit or R100 profit, as long as I want the product and I amhappy with the price it doesnít bug me.

There are plenty of bargains on gumtree were one can buy and make a small profit, if you like upgrading all the time itís not a bad idea to generate some extra cash for the upgrade, obviously donít abuse the classifieds and get your pricing inline with whatís realistic then I think it shouldnít be a major issue. Iíve seen a few items sold on the forum which has been bought by dealers and resold at a markup.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
Within limit I don't mind (R1000 to R2000 OK; R10k to R20k a bit excessive).. the forum is a kind of peace of mind that the item is legit. Been buying a lot of household stuff on the tree lately and almost all had some hidden flaw or issue that I know the more reputable sellers here would/should divulge.

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
I agree with some responses here.  Nothing at all wrong in such practise.  The guy scores a bargain elsewhere and sells here, then "good for him" I say.  In the the end, the buyer is the only person who decides if a price is reasonable or not.  The rest of us cannot judge.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:02:50 PM by PaganMcLoud »
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Dolby

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »
I think in the end it sorts itself out - no one wants it at the over inflated price.

Myself and another AVForums user were interested in an item at R10,0000 - but he got to it first. A bargain ! It was on here at R17,000 within week ... and then R16,000 ... R15,000 ... R14,000 ... and eventually sold for R11,000. I guess he was hoping to make a quick buck - but demand sorts that out

Offline naughty

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »
I think in the end it sorts itself out - no one wants it at the over inflated price.

Myself and another AVForums user were interested in an item at R10,0000 - but he got to it first. A bargain ! It was on here at R17,000 within week ... and then R16,000 ... R15,000 ... R14,000 ... and eventually sold for R11,000. I guess he was hoping to make a quick buck - but demand sorts that out

yeppers - agree with this - as long as the seller realizes that many other people visit Gumtree and OLX and all the other classified sale platforms then the likelihood is that many other people have seen the item there, he cant really engage in profit mongering and the price eventually drops down to what the market itself is going to bear

Offline Michon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »
Are we going to integrate Das Kapital and the Communist Manifesto into the rules for the classified section now too? Then we can finally out these morally bankrupt capitalists once and for all.

Let the market take it's course. Our classifieds section doesn't need any more regulation.

As long as no-one is getting ripped off I don't see a problem. If someone wants to a make a few bucks, even many bucks, on what they're selling to me I don't mind. They sourced it using their time/effort and I have no problem paying for that. If I don't like the price I won't buy it.
Tidal HiFi > MOTU 828x > Speaker build pending.
                                   > Schiit Lyr > Sennheiser HD600 & HD800.

Offline Michon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »

I agree. Demand/supply or is that supply/demand. We're mostly informed consumers here. If someone can leverage asymmetrical information and resources to offer me something which I want, at a profit for them, then so be it.
Tidal HiFi > MOTU 828x > Speaker build pending.
                                   > Schiit Lyr > Sennheiser HD600 & HD800.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Buy on Gum selling on AVForum..
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
Are we going to integrate Das Kapital and the Communist Manifesto into the rules for the classified section now too? Then we can finally out these morally bankrupt capitalists once and for all.

Let the market take it's course. Our classifieds section doesn't need any more regulation.

As long as no-one is getting ripped off I don't see a problem. If someone wants to a make a few bucks, even many bucks, on what they're selling to me I don't mind. They sourced it using their time/effort and I have no problem paying for that. If I don't like the price I won't buy it.

Absolutely.   Profit is not a swear word.  Everybody somehow  pays their bills with some company or individuals profit. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
It should also be noted that there are plenty members here who sell at same price or "below" what they paid for the item.   Hat off to these guys because it elevates the "spirit" of the forum, and "that" deserves praise.   Not at all saying that hi-profit sellers are doing anything unethical or morally questionable, but, and I say this non-judgmentally, it does (in MY mind, at least) clearly seperate the members from the "profiteers."  Not all members are "decent" though, and not all profiteers are BAD.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
It'a  "free-ish" country and a free capitalist market we live in, God Bless these United Provinces of South Africa.
However, I personally can't bring myself to profit from member's on this forum in particular.
I've just been shown too much generosity from the members on this forum over the years to exploit AVForums - other forums, why not, but not this one.
Santosh

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
I have never bought off 'Gum', 'Flea' or other such instances, not for any particular dislike.

Thus being kind of impartial, for me in any purchase the value or "buyability" would lie in what I get, and which I obviously then would like to see before I buy. Where this is not possible (as in most cases, I presume), I am naturally sceptical; each must decide according to his/her own judgment/gut-feeling.

Thus in the above case I agree. One occasionally gets the bargain (ve-e-e-ry infrequently in my case :(  ). Per definition the term 'bargain' indicates that the item was worth more than paid fror. For me this is the gain of the first buyer, who is under no ethical obligation to pass that on to a next buyer. As said, do you consider what you buy to be worth what you are paying.  (E.g. someone might sell a gift, not useful to him, for a fair price. The 'right-of-gift' was his, not the next person's.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)