What happened to 3D stereo

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzs503gp

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I recently learned that certain Pink Floyd and Roger Waters (and many others I?m sure), albums were mastered in 3D stereo. I was listening to Roger Waters - Amused to death yesterday, and I must say, it is highly effective. Full 180 degree soundstage. On Three Wishes, the lady talking about asphyxiating her children, is anchored at 9 o?clock, as is the old war veteran. On one track, a dog barks, from 3 o?clock. Vivid as life.

So why is this technique so obscure? And why do we need multi- channel systems for that matter.
The cynic in me says it?s yet another ploy by the manufacturers to get us to buy more stuff.
I can buy the argument that 3D stereo playback requires a fairly decent setup to be effective, and one could argue that even cheap multichannel systems could achieve an effect close to what the artist intended.
Still, here?s a technique that?s highly effective, requires equipment that in today?s terms is very affordable, doesn?t require a quantum computer to decode, and yet we hardly know about it.