Author Topic: how to properly connect and set up JAMO E4sub.1  (Read 104 times)

Offline detox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
how to properly connect and set up JAMO E4sub.1
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have the above listed sub as part of 5.1 JAMO set...(Having difficulty uploading pics, unfortunately... :walled:)

Its currently connected on 1 channel (L) but there are 2 (L+R)

My questions:  :help:

1.  Should I be using both channels via a Y-connector?
                       2.  Will it improve quality of sound/bass?
                       3.  Does the RCA (btw amp and sub) quality dramatically affect the quality of the sound/bass?
                       4.  Does one play it by ear when setting 'Level' and 'Cut off Frequency' or is there optimal
                            settings/levels?

In case this helps, my AVR is a Yamaha RXV 461.

Thanks in advance!  :2thumbs:

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+15)
Re: how to properly connect and set up JAMO E4sub.1
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »
Try the y splitter and see if it helps. Put volume on half and cutoff to max. Then use the ypo mic to setup the rest. After that adjust level on receiver to where it sound good before all goes ratta-tat-tat.

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
Using a Y-splitter will add volume, but doubt it will have an effect on quality as you should have enough headroom to play with the gain and effectively get the same result.

The “L” channel input on your sub is assigned for a mono input, so that is the intended use.

At the level of kit you are using, use a fair spec rca cable. I don’t expect you will notice a difference with higher end cables.

As far as frequency cut of and gain goes:

Noting what speakers are in the room will assist us in assisting you.

For the most part, cut off the sub around 80hz on the AV receiver, and ensure that in the sub the frequency cut off is at its highest level.

Make sure your speakers are set to small on the receiver, cut off at 60 for the fronts, and 80 - 100 for the balance, dependent on what you have and the room dynamics.

This is just a starting point, and can vary.

Are you using any form of calibration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline detox

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »
Hi guys...

Thanks for the replies/advice. :thumbs:

Here's my speaker list : Center (E4 cen) Long Term = 70W / Short Term = 100W @ 8ohm
                         Rears   (E410)   Long Term = 50W / Short Term = 105W @ 4-8ohm
                         Fronts  (E470)   Long Term = 100W / Short Term = 170W @ 4ohm
                         Sub      (E4 Sub -1)

The room is about 5m (L) x 4m (W)..."standard" setup...fronts, sub and center in front with tv and rears at the back.

I don't have a mic for set up, unfortunately and have no other calibration tools but my ears... :groovy:

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
Hi guys...

Thanks for the replies/advice. :thumbs:

Here's my speaker list : Center (E4 cen) Long Term = 70W / Short Term = 100W @ 8ohm
                         Rears   (E410)   Long Term = 50W / Short Term = 105W @ 4-8ohm
                         Fronts  (E470)   Long Term = 100W / Short Term = 170W @ 4ohm
                         Sub      (E4 Sub -1)

The room is about 5m (L) x 4m (W)..."standard" setup...fronts, sub and center in front with tv and rears at the back.

I don't have a mic for set up, unfortunately and have no other calibration tools but my ears... :groovy:
Use the settings I gave as a starting point. I don’t expect you will deviate much from there. For levels run the fronts at 0, then try and get an equal dB level from the rest, even if by ear.

For the sub, start around 50% gain, and tune by ear.

Subs shouldn’t be too “present”. They should add fill for music, and rumble for the movie stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline detox

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the swift reply Jason.

My amp doesn't display hz, just goes from -10 to +10... and honestly im not too clued up on the hz business.

So, I'll do as you suggested and see.

I also have limited space to move around my sub for optimal sound, as the couches etc, take up the bulk of the space.

:facepalm: