Author Topic: Very special real wood AV unit  (Read 1767 times)

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+16)
Very special real wood AV unit
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »
 Ok so as some of you know every now and then i get the urge to make something with stuff i have collected over the years. This time i had come into some exotic wood that is not used anymore because it is endangered (Imbuia) so i felt the need to make something special. Now i know that im a traded and posting here is frowned on, but that said i feel this needs a bit more exposure. So if mods feel its ok lets leave it here for a week and if not sold move it to traders.

Its not 100% done yet its taking some time to do it right. Basically everything is real wood veneer and solid wood. Also when i use veneer i only use veneer on mdf. Its going to be a mix of classic with some new. Im very exited about this unit and can wait to show it. Working with Imbuia again is heaven, the smell  :Whoohoo:

Top is Kiaat
Shelf is Kiaat
Doors Imbuia/white wash centers (dont worry this was not Imbuia)
The rest of the unit is all white washed veneer so its a mix of white and wood.
On the sides i added two architrave style elbows that will have thick polished glass on to use as bookshelf stands or turntable stands/what ever can fit there. The glass will be housed with Imbuia mounting pieces.

This unit i would like R6000. But it being more a labor of love R5000 will be fine. You will not even be able to buy the materials for that price trust me and the wood you cant even get if you tried. It will need to be collected at my place in Roodepoort or add R300 for delivery.

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: Very special real wood AV unit
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Ok so as some of you know every now and then i get the urge to make something with stuff i have collected over the years. This time i had come into some exotic wood that is not used anymore because it is endangered (Imbuia) so i felt the need to make something special. Now i know that im a traded and posting here is frowned on, but that said i feel this needs a bit more exposure. So if mods feel its ok lets leave it here for a week and if not sold move it to traders.

Its not 100% done yet its taking some time to do it right. Basically everything is real wood veneer and solid wood. Also when i use veneer i only use veneer on mdf. Its going to be a mix of classic with some new. Im very exited about this unit and can wait to show it. Working with Imbuia again is heaven, the smell  :Whoohoo:

Top is Kiaat
Shelf is Kiaat
Doors Imbuia/white wash centers (dont worry this was not Imbuia)
The rest of the unit is all white washed veneer so its a mix of white and wood.
On the sides i added two architrave style elbows that will have thick polished glass on to use as bookshelf stands or turntable stands/what ever can fit there. The glass will be housed with Imbuia mounting pieces.

This unit i would like R6000. But it being more a labor of love R5000 will be fine. You will not even be able to buy the materials for that price trust me and the wood you cant even get if you tried. It will need to be collected at my place in Roodepoort or add R300 for delivery.
Until there are pics... we don’t believe you.

Sounds interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Im very interested and I would take it for that price but it would have to be the right design. Will pm you.
NUPRIME IDA16| Esoteric MG-20 | REL B2

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »
Working hard should have some almost done pics by end of day. Its a very minimalist design. Door left and right and then center stack for a amp/receiver and one other thing like dstv or streaming box, or these can go on the side pillars with a turn table or the like. Does not even need to be a av unit it can also be table or side table in a dining room.

Offline Stu_Mack

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
Subscribed

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
not done but a few pics so long.

Offline pandaattack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
That looks absolutely stunning! Came here to check if someone will be able to make some speaker stands, but think your work is going to be slightly outside of my budget.

Still, that looks phenomenal. Do you have pics of the finished product?

edit: nvm on finished pics, I see the latest update was yesterday. :D
I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline AudioJunkie

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Always on the lookout for old equipment.....pm me
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
not done but a few pics so long.

You're an absolute craftsman of note Morne!!!! Its looks beautiful. GLWS

Vishen
Looking to buy or sell your property in Centurion or Midrand and require a trustworthy and knowledgeable estate agent to assist you?? Please contact me asap..

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. This unit is almost done and will update pics soon. Will go down the list of members via pm first.

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
i keep adding things...

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:06:08 PM »
placing a hold on this one.

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
And back up.

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 04:12:43 AM »
Im not sure about the glass and seems its not to everyones taste. Should i leave it or take it off?

Offline zer0

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
Im not sure about the glass and seems its not to everyones taste. Should i leave it or take it off?
If it was for me I'd want it off. Looks like you had some excess material lying around and decided to stick it on there as an afterthought.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROON's an empty promise
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 08:43:23 AM »
Agreed, looks like reindeer were sacrificed to give the thing wings.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.