Author Topic: Sansui AVR Repair needed  (Read 152 times)

Offline GTiDon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
Sansui AVR Repair needed
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
Hello

I have an older Sansui AVR which after a random time of use around 10 minutes makes a horrible screach and shuts off the speakers,, Then ok for a while after turning off and on again.
Blowing a fan on a heatsink/board near the top through the vents seems to reduce the frequency of the problem.

Is there anybody that can do repairs at a worthwhile cost? obviously this amp is not worth a lot and not worth spending more than its value fixing it.
I am ok with repairing electronics myself too if I can get help troubleshooting the issue from somebody that is knowledgeabile on these amps.. I have already replaced the voltage regulator on the small heatsink that I was cooling, but still have the same issue.

Thanks,
Don

Offline PaganMcLoud

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Sansui AVR Repair needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:10 AM »
Sounds like you've been playing around with this for quite a while in it's current state.  Not sure what speakers these are powering but I would refrain from use until the issue is sorted, so as not to risk potential damage to your speakers.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 06:34:44 AM »
Assuming this AVR is pre hdmi you are likely to buy an equivalent or better amplifier used  for the cost of 3 hours of skilled technician labour.  Sansui has been brand engineered (badged) Chinese stuff for 15 + years. 

I would buy a used yamaha Denon marantz or even Onkyo and move on. 

AVRs are seldom quick fixes as they are more complex and harder to strip down. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline moloels

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
Assuming this AVR is pre hdmi you are likely to buy an equivalent or better amplifier used  for the cost of 3 hours of skilled technician labour.  Sansui has been brand engineered (badged) Chinese stuff for 15 + years. 

I would buy a used yamaha Denon marantz or even Onkyo and move on. 

AVRs are seldom quick fixes as they are more complex and harder to strip down. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]

+1
I tried to fix my old AVR & did not work.
Pretoria

Offline Neil

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »
look on gumtree for a second hand decent unit
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.

Offline Neil

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.