Author Topic: Preferred Headphones for 'relaxed' listening?  (Read 916 times)

Offline CPlanAudio

Re: Preferred Headphones for 'relaxed' listening?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
That is a great recommendation actually! Of the many headphones I have the one that gets by far the most headtime is the HD800. Technically it is brilliant and paired to a suitably transparent amp, with a neutral to warm-neutral chatacter, it delivers the sonic goods like few others. I for one don't buy any of the bass-shy face tweeter crap.

+1

Offline canman1971

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
That is a great recommendation actually! Of the many headphones I have the one that gets by far the most headtime is the HD800. Technically it is brilliant and paired to a suitably transparent amp, with a neutral to warm-neutral chatacter, it delivers the sonic goods like few others. I for one don't buy any of the bass-shy face tweeter crap.

+ another 1

Offline naughty

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »
Seconded. Audio-GD R2R-11 or NFB-11 are great DAC/Amps. Not the cheapest of course, but crazy value for what you're getting.

Failing that, the insane value offered by the Nuprime UDSD makes it a forum favourite as well.

uDSD is an excellent DAC - but it does seem to not be loud enough with certain headphones .... having said that i still love my uDSD and i still consider it one of the best things that you can spend R2000 to R2500 on in terms of audio expenditure

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »

HD800 is certainly an endgame can for many, however it has some downsides.

It's not exactly cheap, even pre-owned.
It demands very high quality amplification to perform at it's best.
It's sound signature can be a little "thin" for some.

It's not a "beginner's" headphone in a nutshell.

That said, if it hits the spot for you, it may just be the last headphone you ever buy.

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
"bass-shy face tweeter" :BWAHAHAH: that's a bit harsh :be:

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 09:26:12 PM »
...I for one don't buy any of the bass-shy face tweeter crap.

Aah that gave me a good laugh!    :giggle:
I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline ron g

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »

for me it has to be the sennheiser ie800 iems.
comfortable to wear, coupled with fantastic, non fatiguing sound, even at high volumes. sound great with all my sources, even my phone (though that does take a little eq tweaking).

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:23 PM »
Interesting choice... I feel like I should give iem's another chance at some point.
I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Online Michon

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »
bass-shy face tweeter

Spot on Scubadude. That was my experience with them.

haha

I should give them another chance in the future.

Every time I use the HD600's I enjoy it, especially with the Sonarworks correction.
Tidal HiFi > MOTU 828x > Speaker build pending.
                                   > Schiit Lyr > Sennheiser HD600 & HD800.

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
I received my HD650's this morning and have been listening to them all day.

They take #1, followed closely by the AKG K7XX. I will have a hard time choosing between my favourite for relaxed listening between these two, the K7XX is super comfortable.

As a side note, I am super impressed with how well the HD598 performs, it 'disappears' off my head after about 10mins.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
 I wonder if choices for relaxed listening might have a bit more to do with fit and comfort rather outright sound quality? Anyways, Hifiman HE400i for me.

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
I wonder if choices for relaxed listening might have a bit more to do with fit and comfort rather outright sound quality? Anyways, Hifiman HE400i for me.

Good choice! I definitely agree with the fit and comfort statement.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
+1 for the r2r-11. Its an awesome piece of kit. Sounds really good out the box - great sense of transparency and warmth but needs a bit of burn in time to settle down and fully deliver on its sound.

Offline canman1971

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 02:53:16 AM »
+1 for the r2r-11. Its an awesome piece of kit. Sounds really good out the box - great sense of transparency and warmth but needs a bit of burn in time to settle down and fully deliver on its sound.

+1  :thumbs:

Offline dragonmts

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
Out of the headphones that I've had - Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD800, Beyerdynamic T1 and Sony MDR-Z7, I have sold every pair excepting my Sony MDR-Z7 with the Kimber Kable upgrade. They just seem to be the whole package for me.
If music be the food of life, play on!