Author Topic: Audio-Gd R2R11 Dac ( My Impressions )  (Read 302 times)

Offline stereosane

Audio-Gd R2R11 Dac ( My Impressions )
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
So I recently aquired an Audio Gd Multibit Dac. This is just my experience with the unit in my system.

This little Dac has blown me away, at first I was hesitant as I donít know Audio Gd well and there is  lots of good and bad opinions on the net, for the price and what it can do I thought it really cannot be that great if itís a 3 in 1 at that price ( Headphone Amp, Pre & Dac ).

Well was I taken back by this Dac, first off the amount of air around instruments and the recording atmosphere that it captures is scary, the sound takes on a 3D affect like Iíve never heard before, on certain tracks I fell like Iím surrounded by the music instead of it been in front of me, the decay of instruments last longer as well adding to a better sense of depth to the sound. Itís not neutral and has a definite color to its sound, a bit of warmth and liqudness to the sound, the music just seems to flow.  Vocals sound fuller and more natural as well compared to my other Dacs.

All in all the music just flows with a natural and smooth sound, percussion, bass guitar and vocals are so much better than on any other Dac Iíve owned, itís got a tube warmth about it and makes you just want to listen the music without analyzing anything. I even put it up against my Nad M51 thinking it wonít touch it and well now Iím not sure the Nad is so good in my system anymore..

For the price and the performance this is one special Dac. If you like a touch of body and warmth to your music this is the Dac!

Just my opinion :)

Online xenithon

Re: Audio-Gd R2R11 Dac ( My Impressions )
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »
Nice write-up and agree wholeheartedly, it is an absolutely insane bargain. Performance far beyond expectations, especially at the price.

Had a discussion with someone earlier today in regard to whether the question for music should be neutral or natural. I personally prefer, and this DAC certainly delivers, on the latter.

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »
I also wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.
Midrand

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
Wonder how this dac compares to the Soekris offerings in a similar price range?

Online gavinbirss

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
Wonder how this dac compares to the Soekris offerings in a similar price range?

I feel a shootout coming...
 :giggle:

Offline stereosane

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
I feel a shootout coming...
 :giggle:

You read my mind :)

Offline Gerlach

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter RŲhrl)

Offline funcrusha76

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
Thanks for the write-up, stereosane. I'm keen to hear a little more about the DAC's performance. Can you comment on the following (if you have time):

- how does it fare with bass? Does it go deep and does it produce articulate (i.e. not just one-note) bass?
- what about soundstage? Good width, depth and height?
- does it sound dynamic, with good transients?

How would you say it compares to the other R-2R DACs you've heard or owned?

Offline stereosane

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the write-up, stereosane. I'm keen to hear a little more about the DAC's performance. Can you comment on the following (if you have time):

- how does it fare with bass? Does it go deep and does it produce articulate (i.e. not just one-note) bass?
- what about soundstage? Good width, depth and height?
- does it sound dynamic, with good transients?

How would you say it compares to the other R-2R DACs you've heard or owned?

Bass is good, much better than the Nad M51 or Renaissance Amplification, it has power but not as much the old Theta Ds Pro Prime I had, the Theta had bigger deeper bass with good slam, the Audio Gd isnít far off though, bass is def not one note bass, I find it more detailed than what Iím used to in a good way. I did find that the bass seems to sound much better after the Dac is left on for a while.

Soundstaging is very good, The sound seems to project out and around my room in a way I havenít heard before, much better than the Theta. The Nad has a wider stage but lacks the 3D aspect of the Audio Gd. The soundstaging of multibit Dacs has always sounded more right to me. Soundstage  Depth is good but the Nad & Theta better it there but not by much.. height is better than most Dacs Iíve heard.

Itís doesnít sound like itís not dynamic but itís not like a Theta Dac, itís good enough but I personally wouldnít mind it been more dynamic just a tad, it wouldnít bother me if I never heard how dynamic my Theta was.

Not sure how to answer the last one on Transients, Iím not very clear on the meaning of the word in audio, I googled it quickly, itís hard to say, I donít pick up anything lacking but I need to listen more maybe..

To compare it to the Theta, I would say the Theta sounds powerful and very Dynamic and lively. The Audio-Gd has better clarity and a better balanced sound with more detail than the Theta but in a good way. The Audio-Gd has a nice warmth to it without loosing out on the finer details or sounding veiled. The Audio Gd manages to keep that goodness of old MultiBit Dacs but manages to sound more modern without the hyped up detail of some modern Dacs if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:10:13 PM by stereosane »

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
Excellent review!

Your impressions pretty much echo my own experience with this little gem of a DAC, when I was fortunate to be able to audition it for an extended period.
In hindsight should never have returned it, but the reason I did remains valid.
I simply prefer my DS DAC. That and the fact that choosing which DAC to listen to would be stress I don't need... ;D

Audio-gd really hit a home run with this one. It ain't easy to build a great R2R DAC, especially at this ridiculous price.
It's that rare gear that surpasses expectations by doing everything (almost) right from a SQ perspective.

And I haven't even mentioned the VERY capable headamp. The R2R-11 drives most any headphone with authority.

Enjoy it!

Kingrex HQ1=Audio-gd NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990Pro=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50