Author Topic: Subwoofers moves when played a little louder?  (Read 593 times)

Offline jasondeklerk

Subwoofers moves when played a little louder?
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze W10 speakers for about 1 year now. I am very happy with them, but they tend to "bounce" when I turn the volume up a little. I would have thought it would be weighted properly to not do that, and does all sub's do that? It is on tiles at present.

I am actually thinking of replacing them for a bigger pair or speakers or another brand. Any suggestions?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Subwoofers moves when played a little louder?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
"A little louder" you say...? :facepalm:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
 :whistler: yes just a "little" louder... I think it is because of the Auxiliary Bass Radiator (ABR). I don't play then loud at all, I just was not sure if other guys experience the same as me.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
If you sit on it, what does it feel like?

You can get rubber matting in small square pieces at Pick Pay for resting objects on.  I have ribbon tweeters on top of my main spks and this stops them moving
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
Use a granite weight cut to size (plinth?) to keep it steady.  Will actually improve the sound quite a bit.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
Yes, it adds a good bit of weight to the sound, both physically and metaphorically

Offline bbe22

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »
Yup that...
   also turn it on its side , on piece on carpet  / blanket / Yoga mat / and see the difference if any

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
Use a granite weight cut to size (plinth?) to keep it steady.  Will actually improve the sound quite a bit.

Sounds like a good idea. Here I was just thinking of selling these and getting a bigger set of subwoofers.

The question I had, does other brand subwoofers do the same?

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Yup that...
   also turn it on its side , on piece on carpet  / blanket / Yoga mat / and see the difference if any
Yes, try this also.   To get a pretty good idea of the difference it makes WITHOUT spending any cash, u could also stack some encyclopaedia volumes on top (if you have this.)   Should definitely result in more "punch" at lower gain levels.  A well-anchored sub will perform better.  Most subs are pretty lightweight out-of-the-box though, not just these.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
I have heard (and seen) ceilings cracking and glass doors vibrating.  Don't these spkrs have rubber feet?  If not, you could glue a rubber spot on each of the feet.  A pack of 8 from my local hardware is R25

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »
It is on tiles at present.

This may be part of your issue. You don't mention what feet the subs have fitted at the moment. If they were on a carpet and you use the spike feet, chances are that they will not move as there is grip.
Either weigh them down or get rubber feet that are less slippery (like the 6mm thread ones that B&W uses).

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
Your sub really shouldn’t do that, but perhaps they weight of the sub is not suitably matched to mass being moved by the driver.

I’m critical of positioning in my stereo and home theatre rooms, so ensure that the speakers are locked into position once the optimum position is found. Whilst the rooms have large carpets in, the subs in all scenarios sit on tiles. The subs are mounted on plinths to protect the subs from vacuum cleaners or brooms, and these plinths are stuck on to the tiled floor with automotive double sided tape from 3M. I remove the rubber feet from the subwoofers, and use the same tape to position the subs to the plinths.

Doing so will give your sub a much firmer grip to its environment, and assist it in a more solid performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
Like so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stanp

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Newton s law regarding motion. You have a powerful driver moving forward and backward. When the driver moves forward, the sub will want to move backwards. This movement will take place if the weight ( gravity plus mass) is not sufficient to overcome the low friction on your floor. Increase the weight of the sub or increase the friction with the floor. As has been stated, put mass on top of your sub or rubber under the feet.And yes, the sound will be better too because at present you are allowing this opposite movement to the drivers movement, wasting sound energy

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »
Wow, here I thought I had a simple question, but I am learning allot. Especially the part of the wasted energy. I think I will take the advice of putting a weight on top simply because I have a down firing auxiliary bass driver.

Thanks for all the feedback!