Author Topic: KEF C55, a gift from my father.  (Read 360 times)

Offline pandaattack

KEF C55, a gift from my father.
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
Hey Guys,

I was gifted a pair of KEF C55 speakers a few years ago by my father. He bought them when he just got married to my mother many, many years ago. I never paid them much attention, but they were used as the main guest to many a party while I was still living as a bachelor. (... the speakers that is, not my mum).

How 'good' were these back in the days?  Would it be worthwhile to invest in a decent amp for them?

I also need to get the grill material refurbished...

I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline wonderbob

Re: KEF C55, a gift from my father.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
Personally I do not know anything about them... but there's some interesting reading here... http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kef-c55-thoughts.768518/

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:58 PM »
Hmmm, thanks man. There's some interesting reading there.
I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline bearenzo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »
They are the entry level KEF at 1988
http://www.kef.com/html/pl/explore/about_kef/museum/1980s/C15_C25_C35_C45_C55_C65_C/index.html

I suggest you check if all drivers are in working condition before you invest more on them.
I was some experience with the KEF Q60 & Q80 ( which is similar design to C35 / C55 )
The Q80 & C55 are all enclosure type with passive radiator.
I found Q80 has great body & smooth sound with vocal music, not definitely not fast, punchy & detailed.
Overall, I will say its sound is warm, smooth & rich, but sometime slow & muddy.

Amp with cleaner sound like Rotel, Audiolab, Onix, exporsure,,etc is a better match
Amp with slow & warm sound like old Marantz is a No No.

Offline oradba69

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
Loved those speakers and if they are in good nick will definitely benefit from good amplification.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline pandaattack

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »

I have some reading to do still... I have a Yamaha receiver that I use to drive these, they sound good to me... But there is definitely muddy bass. Not sure if my receiver is colouring them too much.

I never abused them, and my dad looked after them as well as he could. So they are still in pretty good shape. I did read somewhere to get the tweeters checked for fluids? Might be worthwhile to do that when I get the grill fabric replaced.

They will probably end up in the bedroom eventually, as I sometimes enjoy listening to music before I go to bed. Who knows, it might aid in some other bed room activities...