Author Topic: B&W DM 5 refurb  (Read 369 times)

Offline Gareth80

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
B&W DM 5 refurb
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
Again. Didn't take before pics but the cabinets were in poor condition.

A light sand, some Howard Restore a finish and they are looking lovey.

Next they will be going to Merle to redo the surrounds and sort one Tweeter out.

Really keen to hear what they sound like

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Offline pandaattack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
  • \_(ツ)_/
Re: B&W DM 5 refurb
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
That's a nice matte finish... It seems I also need to get some fluid replaced in my vintage tweeters.

Did you remove the drivers before refinishing, or just worked around them?
I now own HD598's HD650's... Which automatically qualifies everything I have to say audio-wise. :D

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
Removed the before and sealed the cabinets in the front to stop dust and steel wool getting inside the cabinet

Offline Pholo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:04 AM »
I really admire what you did to those speakers. They honestly came to life they just awesome. I wish I had such finer skill as I'm stuck with a pair of Kef Q5 floorstanders that also need a shake up.

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
I really admire what you did to those speakers. They honestly came to life they just awesome. I wish I had such finer skill as I'm stuck with a pair of Kef Q5 floorstanders that also need a shake up.
Thank you. I promise you there is very little skill involved.

Biggest thing is to gage the veneer thickness before you start light sanding.

Good luck with yours

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:46:16 PM »
Great job
Are you sure the speaker surrounds need replacing, they usually last forever unlike the foam type.  Tweeters will probably need new ferrofluid as mentioned.  Sound wise should be very detailed without ever being harsh, a little light in the bass end but very musical.  They are however inefficient and a bitch to drive so choice of amp is critical to get the best out of them.  Definately no IC chip output stages or modern class D stuff.  Best bet is valves, class A such as old Sugden or Music Fidelity but they used to perform fairly well on old Kenwood and Yamaha amps.

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
Great job
Are you sure the speaker surrounds need replacing, they usually last forever unlike the foam type.  Tweeters will probably need new ferrofluid as mentioned.  Sound wise should be very detailed without ever being harsh, a little light in the bass end but very musical.  They are however inefficient and a bitch to drive so choice of amp is critical to get the best out of them.  Definately no IC chip output stages or modern class D stuff.  Best bet is valves, class A such as old Sugden or Music Fidelity but they used to perform fairly well on old Kenwood and Yamaha amps.
Hi there. The one driver seems to be seized   which I have chatted to Merle about. The surrounds seem to be "deflated" and there is cracking visible as shown in the pictures. Some parts of the surround seem softer than other parts.

Real pity I cannot find replacement drivers but will do the best I can. Had great results with the work Merle has done for me on other speakers.

I'm a sucker for real wood veneer cabinets.

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »
Ah OK, those surrounds seem to have had a hard time at some stage, I hope Merle can get a suitable surround as those are quite unusual in profile and stiffness.  Well worth it if you can get them right.

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
Dropped them off at Merle today. Will update as soon as they are done

Offline Steppenwolf

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
Watching this with interest :rubhands:
"Love the life you live, live the life you love" - BM

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
The surrounds seem to be "deflated" and there is cracking visible as shown in the pictures. Some parts of the surround seem softer than other parts.

Real pity I cannot find replacement drivers but will do the best I can. Had great results with the work Merle has done for me on other speakers.

Waiting to see the results. I have some B&W mids that could do with new surrounds.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
Waiting to see the results. I have some B&W mids that could do with new surrounds.
Will keep you updated. I am very very happy with the work she did on my two sets of AR38's. All 4 surrounds replaced.
She also repaired a voice coil on my B&W DM1400'S.

This one is going to be interesting.

This is going to be the last pair of vintage speakers that I buy and refurb. Total money pit. I think I have an undiagnosed condition :-(

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+45)
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »

This is going to be the last pair of vintage speakers that I buy and refurb. Total money pit. I think I have an undiagnosed condition :-(

haha

One day you might get into vintage Tannoy and Lansing too. If so the refurbishing will start all over again.

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
haha

One day you might get into vintage Tannoy and Lansing too. If so the refurbishing will start all over again.
Ha ha.. No I'm done done.

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
Waiting in anticipation to see them restored. Those look like 16mm diameter (roll profile) surrounds and possibly foam and not rubber...but looks can be deceiving esp with photos. The softness you mention in some areas on the surround is what im also experiencing on a set of AR drivers(foam surrounds) & it was causing problems..now in restoration. On another forum theres many reccomendations to use the Boston-type filleted foam surrounds instead of the regular foam surrounds as replacements..apparently they are good quality and the filleted profile is effective in reducing the occurence of cone breakup (modes). Vintage AR had another way getting around this but more about that in another topic later.

Good luck with these and thanks for a great thread and pics !  :thumbs: