Author Topic: Good 2hnd shops in Capetown?  (Read 882 times)

Offline Skylark

Good 2hnd shops in Capetown?
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
Where are the good 2hnd/pawn shops in Capetown?
I'm visiting this fine city and I wouldn't mind looking around to see what is on offer, I'm probably going to be all over so they don't only have to be in city bowl.
One thing I'm always looking out for is old camera lenses.

Music is in the Mind

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Good 2hnd shops in Capetown?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:03:54 PM »
If you're around Saturday or Sunday go check out Milnerton flea market.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Skylark

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
If you're around Saturday or Sunday go check out Milnerton flea market.
Thanks Shonver, that's a good one, I have heard people speaking about it before.
Is it the same type of market on both Sat and Sun and approx what time does it open and close?
Music is in the Mind

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
I think it is from 9 to 12 (probs later), although Google search says from 7:30 on a Saturday. They only open on weekends.

https://www.facebook.com/MilnertonFleaMarket/

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline christowp

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
Noyes Pharmacy in Main Rd Kenilworth

Normal business hours 9-5 pm

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
Rather you just keep looking, and find some new ones of your own.   Every1 else posting here has already scavenged the good stuff from the shops they mentioned.   :giggle:
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Skylark

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
Noyes Pharmacy in Main Rd Kenilworth

Normal business hours 9-5 pm
That's interesting, a pharmacy that sells 2hnd stuff?
Music is in the Mind

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
Well worth a visit t the pawn shop in 34 Victoria Road, c/r Rule Street in Southfield, opposite the cemetery.  Well laid out, clean, not too much junk.  Fair bit of electrical goods

Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Skylark

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
Thanks Chris, that looks like a legit specimen  :rubhands:
Music is in the Mind

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
Thanks Shonver, that's a good one, I have heard people speaking about it before.
Is it the same type of market on both Sat and Sun and approx what time does it open and close?

The same market Saturday and Sunday.  Opens in theory 7.30 but its still a bit dark in winter and very cold being next to the sea.  8.30 - 8.45 is fine.  Go on Sat if you can, all the best stuff goes by 11.30.  Have seen quite a bit of old camera stuff there.  There is a Polish gent always has stuff, is a bit tight with his prices unless you buy more than one item.  The sight of money coming out your pocket changes his attitude immediately.  We go there about 6 times a year.  Good crockery and china.  Found some Noritake "Blue Moon" soup bowls which for some reason I had never bought.  Priced at R60 each, I got 6 for R250

If its raining, then only half the market opens.  My friend's wife has been selling there for 25 years.  She sells for the Wynberg Baptist Church.  Once a month she brings me the electronics and I price them for her

Online Curlycat

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »
There is E-piphany as well http://e-piphany.com/contact-us/
They have a used audio section.

Offline LouisF

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »
The same market Saturday and Sunday.  Opens in theory 7.30 but its still a bit dark in winter and very cold being next to the sea.  8.30 - 8.45 is fine.  Go on Sat if you can, all the best stuff goes by 11.30.  Have seen quite a bit of old camera stuff there.  There is a Polish gent always has stuff, is a bit tight with his prices unless you buy more than one item.  The sight of money coming out your pocket changes his attitude immediately.  We go there about 6 times a year.  Good crockery and china.  Found some Noritake "Blue Moon" soup bowls which for some reason I had never bought.  Priced at R60 each, I got 6 for R250

If its raining, then only half the market opens.  My friend's wife has been selling there for 25 years.  She sells for the Wynberg Baptist Church.  Once a month she brings me the electronics and I price them for her
No rain in the offing for the next week, but it can of course change. Sat & Sun promises to be quite nippy.
https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/Western_Cape/Cape_Town/long.html

e-piphany is actually on Durban Rd, Durbanville, past Tyger Valley mall.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:11:57 PM by LouisF »
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Skylark

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 06:51:01 PM »
I haven't been to a fleamarket for many many years, I can remember them being good fun. Also very cool seeing what the craftsman stalls have to offer, sometimes really well made stuff offered by the diy geniuses.
Music is in the Mind

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »
Milnerton is about 70% recycled junk and 30% Chinese items.  The Muizenberg market, Sundays only, is somewhat larger, very little recycled junk, 60% food and 39% Chinese stuff

I get the firm impression that many of the Milnerton traders rely on the market for a living

There is a good craft market opposite Kirstenbosch, but only in summer.  Some real gems there

Then there are annual fetes, some very good, ie German School, Michael Oak in Kenilworth and several in the northern suburbs

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
Support our own Turntable Guy - has much more than just turntables!

71 Durban Rd, Mowbray, Cape Town, 7700