Author Topic: Advice - Car audio  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Renegade187

Re: Advice - Car audio
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
If you want to keep the car as stock as possible, then you will have to use the original speaker locations which might not be ideal, especially the tweeters.
One option is to use "dualock' velcro to mount the tweeters further forward on the A pillar or dash. This stuff keeps them solid, but is completely removable. You will just have to feed the wires neatly.

Any good brand, will be an improvement over the stock stuff. I have Rockford splits, and I would also look at Rainbow. Focal would be out of your price range I think.

A sub, or a boxed woofer is really essential in a car unless its only used as a static show vehicle.
You are competing against 70dB + of road noise on a highway, and all the bottom end is literally drowned out by tyre roar, engine and wind noise.

I found the best way to set up your splits, is to firstly disconnect or turn the sub gain down to zero, turn all the amp gains to zero, set the HPF to about 120Hz on the amp and then play some dynamic music with the deck gain about 8/10.
Then slowly turn the front gain up until the splits are about to distort, and then back it off quite a bit. Then leave the deck volume at that level, and slowly turn down the HPF to get the maximum bass out of your front splits. You should end up somewhere between 50 and 60 Hz.

Next, set your LPF at about 80Hz, and slowly turn up the sub gain until you have a balanced sound. If it gets too boomy, back off the LPF to 50/60Hz.

Its just a matter of tweaking until you are happy really.

I do suggest that you run a dedicated RCA from the "sub out" on your deck if it has one, because then you can adjust the bass gain from the drivers seat.

Good luck.

Which Rockford splits where these?
Denon X4200w
Rotel 1075 Power Amplifier
B&W 683 S2 Floorstanders (Bi-amped off 1075)
2 X SVS NSD 12"
Monitor Audio radius centre channel
QED Silver anniversary 3m bi wire cabling

Offline Renegade187

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:16 AM »
Some great feedback here.

Here's what I have established so far.  Most splits and coaxs have a frequency range of 70hz and upwards which will give a fair rendition of the bass sections of tracks played.

However, I have looked at he Rockford P1675 SI and SE.  The SE (120wrms handling) is big step up from the SI (60wrms handling).  The thing that stuck out for me was the how low they can reach.  They were the only speakers that handle a range starting from 50hz upward. 

I am really inclined to go for these from Amazon/ebay which comes in at around a R1k cheaper than a sound shop here in Jozi (includes customs albeit an understated value :tongue: on shipping)

Given that I purely want the in car speakers to be the end all in my system, I think that with that type of range, that he speaker will render a great sound stage.   

Just concerned that the SI which I am wanting to go for is below the rated power of my phoenix gold @ 75rms.  Here again, not concerned that he speaker wont handle but more that I am not getting the most of the combination of amp and speakers.
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline d0dja

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »
My old Benz has pretty decent sound -- I have Hertz splits in the front (the tweeters need to be positioned better...) and Pioneer 10" limpets (so-called "limpids"*) in the back. I don't like 6*9 or 7*10 as I recon they have too much distortion - lots of weird breakup modes because of the oval shape.

I unsoldered the wires to the built-in tweeter on the limpets to lash on an LPAD to take down the highs by 6 or 9dB, as they are only really for low end fill in.

I don't use the head to power them, I take RCAs to the back where an 800W Kenwood amp (I don't drive with silly sound levels) drives the speakers, and the sub out from the amp drives one of those self-powered Pioneer slimline subs (I don't want too much incursion into my boot space...).

I find that 70% of a good install is the fitment -- fabricating good solid mountings for the speakers so that they seal properly at the edges, point in the best direction possible (i.e. not directly at your feet...). Also damping inside the panels to stop resonances (mix of batting as stuffing and lengths of bitumen roofing seal on key panels (some swear against it, I've never had any problems with it). Panel resonances are the enemy of SQ. Take care with RCA cable runs to avoid high-current wiring.

* I gather that they are called "limpids" as a mis-spelling of limpets, as they look like old WWII  limpet mines, and are a particularly South African term.

Offline AudioJunkie

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Always on the lookout for old equipment.....pm me
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
Hi,  Any idea which Alpines these were?  SPG / SPR / XS?

SPG
Looking to buy or sell your property in Centurion or Midrand and require a trustworthy and knowledgeable estate agent to assist you?? Please contact me asap..

Offline kritzingerf

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
I have had very good results, pairing JBL 8" 3-way limpets and a 8" shallow mount sub with the Phoenix Gold X400.4 amp.

On the other side, I have a very awful sounding system, using a Kenwood 4 channel amp, powering Infinity 6.5" splits, and a pair of Infinity 6x9s. and using a Kenwood monoblock, with a 12" Kenwood sub.

The Infinity can not be tamed, they are ridiculously harsh sounding, with crappy low end...

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
Which Rockford splits where these?
I'm really not sure. I installed them years ago, and they never missed a beat. Good sounding with decent bass. Soft dome tweeter. I think somewhere in the middle of the range back then.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Renegade187

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
I'm really not sure. I installed them years ago, and they never missed a beat. Good sounding with decent bass. Soft dome tweeter. I think somewhere in the middle of the range back then.

Settled on fosgate punch P165-SE - they are on their way.   The frequency response being as low as 55hz would give you that decent bass. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:35:26 PM by Renegade187 »
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline manetino

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
Rockford is really good.

Remember there are diff ranges(as with all the brands) in Rockford they are Prime - Punch and Power. I bought Power because they are reference and go above 100RMS (the P4's). In reality I think they're still not good enough and I could do with a pair in each Door :BWAHAHAH:

But the reality is you need 100RMS in at least a 6-6.5inch woofer sized split. If you have 4x75w RMS amp then bridge it into 2 channels to the front Splits. Like Hifi there can never be too much power!

Then run your rear co-ax's powered from your deck just as fill.

I doubt there will be enough base to round out the sound without a sub though!

Offline Renegade187

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
Will look into setting up in that way:  rears from HU and amp bridge to splits however I love the tuning ability that the Alpine 178BT offers. 

My other setup would therefore be 2 RCAs to front and rear between HU and Amp with 2 rear and 2 front channels wired for the speakers.  This way I can tune the rear Coaxs for 90% bass frequency and open up the range on the fronts all controlled from the HU.

BTW,  got a price on Dr Artex Gold bulk pack being 10 sheets of 75cm X 55cm per sheet.  I only require 5 sheets by my measurements.  The price is R1499 so anyone interested in 5 sheets of sound deadening with a pro rata cost split?
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline gov

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »

BTW,  got a price on Dr Artex Gold bulk pack being 10 sheets of 75cm X 55cm per sheet.  I only require 5 sheets by my measurements.  The price is R1499 so anyone interested in 5 sheets of sound deadening with a pro rata cost split?
[/quote]

Just check with local suppliers, they normally have the bulk pack on special for R1000. Last specials I saw was at Violet Electronics and RT Audio. Maybe check with others as well. You should find a special.

If you can...try and seal up the cavities as much as you can, like creating a sealed enclosure, this should help with the low end response. Also something to absorb the rear wave.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Is that not just the same as the stuff at BW with fancy printing ?. Aluminium with bitumen ?

Seriously, save your cash and use the local stuff. I did my bakkie 10 years ago, and it sorted out the resonances and rattles perfectly.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline manetino

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »
Yes itís s must for base using sound deadening...everyone should start s system with this!

Offline Renegade187

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »

Using baffling in between inner and outer panel to reduce hollow cavity volume and create some semblance of a sealed cavity
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:35:25 PM by Renegade187 »
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline Renegade187

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »

Waiting for wooden spacers too arrive before the final speaker surrounding sound deadening layer goes on
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:34:28 PM by Renegade187 »
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline Renegade187

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »

Standard versus new.  Kicker CS 6.5".  Shocked that this thing drops as low as 35hz :rubhands:

Can't wait to hear the result.   Driving them off HU for now.   Amp to be connected to the system once the front speakers arrive and sound deadening is competed.
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"