Author Topic: Advice - Car audio  (Read 834 times)

Offline Renegade187

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Advice - Car audio
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:38:53 AM »
I have recently decided to upgrade my speakers in my vehicle and need some advice from someone who is not trying to push a specific brand but rather from experience.

I am looking for pure SQ in my vehicle.  I am looking at doing a good set of splits up front with coaxs on the rear doors (no sub).
Sound deadening material will be added to both front and rear doors.

What I have so far:-
Amp:  Phoenix Gold Z500.4 (75wrms X 4)
Headunit:  Alpine 178BT
Sound deadening material:  Dr Altex applied to both front and rear doors

Budget is on the mid range stuff - R3k - R4k for splits and coaxs.  Not going to fork out R5k - R6k on vehicle speakers.

I have been looking at he following brands:
Alpine SPG series
Rockford fosgate punch series
Focal
Looking for some other suggestion where people have had a very experience with

Thanks
Denon X4200w
Rotel 1075 Power Amplifier
B&W 683 S2 Floorstanders (Bi-amped off 1075)
2 X SVS NSD 12"
Monitor Audio radius centre channel
QED Silver anniversary 3m bi wire cabling

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Advice - Car audio
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
I would put a good split system up front and mount the tweeters as close to ear level as possible.
No speakers at the rear as we do not stand with our backs to the stage.
Phoenix Gold is a decent amp but not the best SQ wise. Careful that you get the right sound from the tweeters as it can be a very bright amp.
Boston? Infinity? Maybe Focal speakers, component system.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline JayMac

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
 :2c: When I upgraded the sound in two of my cars, 10 years ago now, I didn't bother with the rear door speakers and rather spent more on the front splits/crossover: I used MB Quart (can't remember models - but one pair was 5 inch and the other was for a 6 inch cutout) in both cars and found them very good, clean and accurate (relatively speaking of course) . But I also used a smallish 8 inch sub (Infinity was the one brand) to integrate the sound so as not to become sluggish doef-doef.

I see PC Link Computers have some for sale - but don't know how competitive their prices are, so perhaps use Pricecheck.co.za as well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Offline gov

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »
Add Kicker and Hertz to that List

Is there a specific reason why you don't want to add a sub?

My go to upgrade is a nice set of splits and a small sub running off a 4ch amp.

My current system is a set of Hertz Energy Splits, 8" RF Sub in a downfiring box and a 4ch RF amp.

Offline Renegade187

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »
Just over the big bass stuff and spending big on car audio.  I was looking to a good set of coaxs to do the job of the mid to lower frequencies and have the splits run mid to higher end crisply.

So, am I right in thinking that the RMS rating on the speakers need to exceed (not by much because then the cost becomes an issue with massively high rated speakers for which the amp is not capable of getting the best out of) the 75wrms quoted on the amp in order to get the most out of the speakers and amp....
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:53:32 AM by Renegade187 »
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »

if rears are going to do work of a sub then go for a single woofer rather than coaxials, & then use cross over / eq so they only get subwoofer signal.

having mids / highs from the rear has never worked for me & i have just wound up turning the rear down.

what about a slimline sub under the seats instead?
never tried one personally but i would think a purpose built sub + enclosure may be better?
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Renegade187

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »
Did look at the alpine slimline self powered but this is going into an Opel Astra H OPC which is a hatch.  I want to keep everything out of sight, not even in the boot.  The amp mounting is even a problem for me and I am thinking of mounting in the passenger foot well to keep it close to the HU and fairly out of sight.

Would this not work though?:-

Splits on front doors - Crossover 250hz - 20khz
Coax on rear doors - Crossover 50hz +- 300hz
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"

Offline gov

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »
I'm not sure about the boot setup on the Astra but in my Corsa OPC, I used the false floor area of the boot to mount the amp and used a spare wheel enclosure.

OEM look and gave the nice low end that I doubt you'll get with Co-Ax in the rear.

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »

do you still get the "limpid" (possibly meant to be "limpets"?) drivers you used to get a while back?
typically these were 8 or 10 inch single driver setups & worked well as lf sources.
i used a pair in an old e30 on the rear deck with splits up front &  it worked well - i preferred it to other similar setups with. 6x9s.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
I have a Kicker Hideaway self powered sub that can go under seat or take up very little space in the boot.
R2,5K Neg...:)

http://www.rivoniacarsound.co.za/product/kicker-hideaway-compact-powered-subwoofer-8-inch/
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:05:40 PM »
If you want to keep the car as stock as possible, then you will have to use the original speaker locations which might not be ideal, especially the tweeters.
One option is to use "dualock' velcro to mount the tweeters further forward on the A pillar or dash. This stuff keeps them solid, but is completely removable. You will just have to feed the wires neatly.

Any good brand, will be an improvement over the stock stuff. I have Rockford splits, and I would also look at Rainbow. Focal would be out of your price range I think.

A sub, or a boxed woofer is really essential in a car unless its only used as a static show vehicle.
You are competing against 70dB + of road noise on a highway, and all the bottom end is literally drowned out by tyre roar, engine and wind noise.

I found the best way to set up your splits, is to firstly disconnect or turn the sub gain down to zero, turn all the amp gains to zero, set the HPF to about 120Hz on the amp and then play some dynamic music with the deck gain about 8/10.
Then slowly turn the front gain up until the splits are about to distort, and then back it off quite a bit. Then leave the deck volume at that level, and slowly turn down the HPF to get the maximum bass out of your front splits. You should end up somewhere between 50 and 60 Hz.

Next, set your LPF at about 80Hz, and slowly turn up the sub gain until you have a balanced sound. If it gets too boomy, back off the LPF to 50/60Hz.

Its just a matter of tweaking until you are happy really.

I do suggest that you run a dedicated RCA from the "sub out" on your deck if it has one, because then you can adjust the bass gain from the drivers seat.

Good luck.

Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
Focal has great detail but can be ear-piercing especially on the cheaper ranges and with cheaper partnering equipment. Generally speaking I would avoid metal-dome tweeters when on a budget, more so than with home hi-fi. Some brands even deliberately have peaks in the HF to portray the brightness as 'detail'.
After lots of trial and error I settled on Morel splits but it was not cheap. Still using them daily for the past 7 years with JL HD series amps and a DIY front-end so worth every cent given the long commute.

Offline AudioJunkie

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Always on the lookout for old equipment.....pm me
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
A few years ago I installed a pair of Alpine splits into my brothers golf gti and I was blown away by the quality of the sound produced. It almost sounded like a home stereo system in terms of bass, mids and highs. It didn't sound anything like car audio and the splits were run straight off a high power Pioneer HU.

So from my personal experience, I'd say go with Alpine for sure.

Vishen
Looking to buy or sell your property in Centurion or Midrand and require a trustworthy and knowledgeable estate agent to assist you?? Please contact me asap..

Offline ocali

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
The previous owner of my Astra H upgraded the sound, I cannot remember exact details but , all the original speakers including the tweeters were replaced with JBL offerings . This also includes a 4channel amp and a 8inch sub in a small inclosure that you donít even notice in the the boot unless you know the sub is there ..

Iím no pro , but the car sounds amazing . Crystal clear , plenty bass , very clean sounding . No distortion and no rattles ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Renegade187

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
A few years ago I installed a pair of Alpine splits into my brothers golf gti and I was blown away by the quality of the sound produced. It almost sounded like a home stereo system in terms of bass, mids and highs. It didn't sound anything like car audio and the splits were run straight off a high power Pioneer HU.

So from my personal experience, I'd say go with Alpine for sure.

Vishen

Hi,  Any idea which Alpines these were?  SPG / SPR / XS?
Denon X4200w
2 X SVS NSD 12"