Author Topic: Negative remarks on sales threads  (Read 137 times)

Offline Winslow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audiophiles can be so egregiously sesquipedalian.
Negative remarks on sales threads
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
I have noticed for some while that there are remarks passed about equipment on sales threads, that put the said item in a negative light.

Any person who has passed the 50 post limit can put any thing up for sale he or she chooses and is entitled to ask whatever price they want.

Adding your opinion on a sales thread about anything that reflects the item in a negative light just seems to be a rather egotistical exercise.
If you think this or that about the item that might reflect it in a negative light, or have an opinion that something else might be a better bet;  keep it to your self.  That is just your opinion and yours alone;  it has nothing positive to add to the sale of the item.  If the price seems high in your estimation keep that to yourself, it is a free market.  If you feel it is a bargain, them by all means help the sale along.

If you have an input that is positive from direct experience;  not a borrowed opinion dragged up from all the rubbish people post on other forums then feel free to post it, if it will help the sale along.

If you are genuinely interested in the item and there are no pics then express your interest and ask for pics, the "pics might help" remark does not help.

Adding input trying to sell something else on a sales thread is just not on, I have noticed this happening from time to time.
If you have something for sale that you think is better then put it up for sale on its own thread, do not hi-jack another's sales thread.

People are free to research something themselves to check opinions and prices, and then decide whether an item is something they want.

Discussion Threads:
I read so much that I disagree with from my direct experience on all of the forums.  These second hand passed on personal opinions of others soon become audio gospel;  I.E. Fake News.
If you have direct and personal experience with a piece of equipment post it,
After all this is not an objective hobby, no matter how hard people try to make it so.  It is purely subjective, messing around with it for over 50 years has at least taught me that.  It is all in the ear of the listener and their personal experience of their emotional connection with the music.

Please this is just my opinion on the above.  Let us try and keep this forum a pleasant and ethical experience for everyone.
"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music.
Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."

Allan Parsons

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Toybox
Re: Negative remarks on sales threads
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
I agree with all you say, except I have a comment on this....

After all this is not an objective hobby, no matter how hard people try to make it so.  It is purely subjective,

When people blatantly contradict science, maths or physics, there should be correction made. The engineering theory behind music reproduction can be quite complicated - especially digital signal processing, which requires around 4 years of university level maths to fully 'get'. But that's no excuse for making stuff up to fill in a lack of understanding - admittedly that is much more common on overseas(*) sites than here.

* - I heard a wonderful comment on a TV show last night - a very correct British gentleman, (this not a verbatim quote but my best memory):
"She is trying so hard to show she isn't a bimbo, that she has a brain. And she does have a brain, but it's an American brain"

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:46:44 PM by Steerpike »

Offline 2wice

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »
Yep, only sometimes subjective not all the time, especially if it can be measured.

Otherwise if you can't say something nice, try harder.

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
I don't agree with the op. Either no opinions should be allowed or they must take the good with the bad.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk