Author Topic: Android TV boxes  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Des Miles

Re: Android TV boxes
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »
Geez.... The more one goes into this the more confusing it becomes (well for me anyway).

Anyone have this one? Any thoughts on it, seems good.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/71041-fire-tv-cube-streaming-media-player.html

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:53 PM »
The MiBox is Google certified and it runs Android TV. Not many are. Most of the others (cheapies) runs the Phone/Tablet Android. So limited to which Apps you can install.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk
Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro

Online psymon007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • ====<0 ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »
I have the LIT box and even though it works for the most part, it certainly isn't without its issues. Not as polished a product as one would hope.
Telkom (and the LIT box itself) have apparently failed Netflix certification, so don't expect that to change anytime soon. One can sideload a "cracked" version of Netflix and it's therefore impossible to get the latest and greatest versions of Netflix through regular updates. My LIT box also loses its wireless connection almost daily, which necessitates a restart.
There are multiple versions of the LIT box, A06 shipped without Bluetooth or 5Ghz Wireless, and is loaded with an older android/GIU version, which hasn't been updated.
A07-A11 (AFAIK) have BT and 5Ghz  but also have their fair share of bugs and glitches. The remotes are also generally junk, with terrible "feel" and/or chewing up batteries.

I'm looking into the MiBox as my next attempt at a reliable, bug free experience, however I've read that their latest upgrade to Android Oreo (v.8) has been anything but smooth. Lots of folk have reverted back to v.7 until the issues are sorted.
However, I do believe, if you are in the market for a cheap, decent Android box, the Xiaomi MiBox is the way to go.
Otherwise an Nvidia Shield, which is excellent, but expensive by comparison.

Online psymon007

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 09:31:42 PM »
Geez.... The more one goes into this the more confusing it becomes (well for me anyway).

Anyone have this one? Any thoughts on it, seems good.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/71041-fire-tv-cube-streaming-media-player.html

Probably an excellent device although due it running it's own propitiatory version of Android and would need to be linked to Amazon Prime, it may not have DSTV in it's app store, and thus may require sideloading. I stand corrected however.

Offline Dolby

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 10:21:31 AM »
Telkom (and the LIT box itself) have apparently failed Netflix certification, so don't expect that to change anytime soon

That's not quite true - the box (hardware) meets the specs needed. The issue (or challenge) is that Netflix became far more stringent with Android TV and the admin side holding things back. I would say Netflix is still on the cards though ...

There are multiple versions of the LIT box, A06 shipped without Bluetooth or 5Ghz Wireless, and is loaded with an older android/GIU version, which hasn't been updated.

You're right on the lack of 5Ghz and Bluetooth in A06 - but the rest all of the same hardware (A07, A11, A12).

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:23:55 AM by Dolby »

Online psymon007

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 11:59:57 AM »
That's not quite true - the box (hardware) meets the specs needed. The issue (or challenge) is that Netflix became far more stringent with Android TV and the admin side holding things back. I would say Netflix is still on the cards though ...

You're right on the lack of 5Ghz and Bluetooth in A06 - but the rest all of the same hardware (A07, A11, A12).

Thanks @Dolby for the clarification :cool:

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:38 AM »
Hmm, i am just running a Windows 10, recently upgraded the internals , for about 3000.00 - doing everything you guys does , Execpt the downloading for later... And with VPN wifey watches Hulu and USA Netflix.,thinking of getting amazon Prime as well....
and her Masterchef Australia right from channel 10'in Aus... , why get an Android or other media box when a Middle of the road PC with HDMI does the same and more? Those media boxes are just a Computer in any case....

Offline Dolby

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »

Not everyone wants a bulky, whirring PC in their living room.

And the biggest difference - user experience and usability. How do you control the whole system? How do you change between apps? Wireless keyboard and mouse is the most common way - but that's messy compared to a proper media box.

Window's 10 also isn't a 10 ft interface that is made for viewing across the living room anyway. So it looks, will, shitty .

Offline carel1966

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
Hmm, i am just running a Windows 10, recently upgraded the internals , for about 3000.00 - doing everything you guys does , Execpt the downloading for later... And with VPN wifey watches Hulu and USA Netflix.,thinking of getting amazon Prime as well....
and her Masterchef Australia right from channel 10'in Aus... , why get an Android or other media box when a Middle of the road PC with HDMI does the same and more? Those media boxes are just a Computer in any case....
As Dolby said - convenience. Interface build for interaction via TV.  Also cost - the MiBox is R1099, which is not a lot of money for what it offers.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As long as I can still enjoy the music I'm happy.

PS: My listening preference - 90% Stereo Music; 9% Surround Music; 1% Movies and other

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
I got a T95Z Plus on recommendation of a friend. Been working flawlessly for a year. Haven't tried DSTV Now on it though.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
Not everyone wants a bulky, whirring PC in their living room.

And the biggest difference - user experience and usability. How do you control the whole system? How do you change between apps? Wireless keyboard and mouse is the most common way - but that's messy compared to a proper media box.

Window's 10 also isn't a 10 ft interface that is made for viewing across the living room anyway. So it looks, will, shitty .

It is all true what you guys say. But.. i use VPN to watch American, Australian, BBC and showmax, dstv now.  On a Pc switching between countries on your easy to use vpn is easy.
So, having the flexiabilty of a PC is just right for me...

With a all in one keyboard, 42 or 75" screen, whats difficult or clunky?

Offline Dolby

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 02:06:40 PM »
With a all in one keyboard, 42 or 75" screen, whats difficult or clunky?
\

That bolded part ...

A keyboard / trackpad / Windows 10 is made for a desk. Yea, you can use them in your lounge or in bed - but not nearly as fast as a standard remote control. I've used both - I was a huge supporter of a PC in the lounge and had one for many, many years. I had a Logitec wireless keyboard as well for control (still in my lounge). Don't get me wrong - powerful setup, but it can't compare (convenience wise) of an Android TV / tvOS. Switch from YouTube to Netflix? 'Return' ... 'Left' ... 'Left' ... 'OK' - 2 seconds.

Just my 2c though - if you find it differently, then cool :)

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
It is true what Dolby said. Convience is key. But what about searching for something?
How easy is it when searching for something on youtube? The other day i wanted to listen to differrent version of snowy white's  midnight blue. Had to search for it. I do not have experience with the android boxes, but i know that i used the apple tv less and less in favour of the pc because of convience. To make it easier for wifey, Shortcuts to everything on the desktop...
But i think the primary reason for the living room laptop is the VPN that can be easily switched.

Dolby, i respect your opinion as you are a long standing member here. Like you said - what ever works for you!

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »
It is true what Dolby said. Convience is key. But what about searching for something?
How easy is it when searching for something on youtube? The other day i wanted to listen to differrent version of snowy white's  midnight blue. Had to search for it. I do not have experience with the android boxes, but i know that i used the apple tv less and less in favour of the pc because of convience. To make it easier for wifey, Shortcuts to everything on the desktop...
But i think the primary reason for the living room laptop is the VPN that can be easily switched.

Dolby, i respect your opinion as you are a long standing member here. Like you said - what ever works for you!

The MiIBox has voice recognition on remote. Works quite well for searching.
Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro

Offline carel1966

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »
The MiIBox has voice recognition on remote. Works quite well for searching.
I am impressed with the voice search. Works great. Can also add a media keyboard - I am using a logitech one with my MiBox.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As long as I can still enjoy the music I'm happy.

PS: My listening preference - 90% Stereo Music; 9% Surround Music; 1% Movies and other