Author Topic: Classe CA 2100 vs Emotiva XPA-2 GEN3 POWER AMPLIFIER  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Affordable Home Automation
Re: Classe CA 2100 vs Emotiva XPA-2 GEN3 POWER AMPLIFIER
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 05:43:40 AM »
I think you guys are being harsh on the Emotiva.

Yes, it may not be as good as the Classe, made in China etc - but it's in a different PRICE altogether. It offers fantastic value! I think at that price it really isn't bad and it competes very favourably to those items (Forget the local pricing that is over inflated)

Out of interest, which models did you listen to and for how long to get the conclusion?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:45:54 AM by Dolby »

Offline kalith

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »
Yeah i agree with Dolby ,whats with all the Emotiva hate ?

The Classe CA 2100 retailed @ 5000$ vs Emotiva XPA-2 GEN3 retailed @ 999$.
Its like comparing a tank vs a Humvee ?

The guy that buys the Emotiva is 99% of the time not in the market for the Classe and vice versa.
They clearly cater for very different clientele.

The only reason we are having this discussion is because the second hand market in SA potentially makes both options available to the discerning value hunter. Buying new this wouldn't even have been a discussion point ?

I have and had numerous Emotiva products and for the main they do what i need of them at a price my bank balance can handle ?

just my 2c.

Offline JANNAS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
I am not sure which Integra you have but I have the 30.2. If I recall correctly it only gives out about 250mV on the pre out stage. A usual normal power amp usually needs about 1V on the input to drive it to full output depending on the design. I had to get a preamp, in my case Nad 1000 monitor series to lift the Integra preout signal to a decent level. It made all the difference on the power amps that I have used. Try it, you will be amazed. The OEM guy's manufacture their stuff so that you must use all their stuff. Integra AVR with Integra power and I think almost ALL the OEM guy's does that.

Offline JANNAS

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:46 AM »
In your case the Classe needs 1 Vrms and the Emotiva 1.5Vrms to drive them to full power, put a decent preamp inbetween and try again. ;)

Offline Dolby

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
In the US, the whole thing about Emotiva was that it compared very favorably to units at the same price as it.  However, I've just taken two models and the difference seems to be around 30% on the local pricing, which kinda means it loses it's meaning for being around. I've had 10+ Emotiva units (monoblocks / processors / DACS / preamps / CD players etc) and price / performance, they were hard to be beat. But at 30% premium, you can be sure I'll be taking the Rotel / NAD units ...

I'm unsure how it's justified though?

*Emotiva XMC-1 @ $2,499.00
*Rotel RSP1582 @ $3,499.00

So the Emotiva compares very favorably at 28% less than Rotel. But bring both machines here, and you're now looking the below (2% more expensive). In other words the Emotiva just added a whopping 30%!

*Emotiva XMC-1 @ R69,990.00
*Rotel  RSP1582 @ $R67,990.00

If we take the amplifier in discussion, the same price Rotel is also around 30% more expensive. The NAD which 30% more expensive in US, it the same price locally:

*Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 @ $999.00
*Rotel 1552MK2 @ $999.00
*NAD C275BEE @ $1,299.00

Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 @ R25,990.00
Rotel 1552MK2 @ R18,690.00
NAD C275BEE @ R25,590.00

Offline Dolby

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
I was actually looking a few months ago at upgrading my old Emotiva processor to something that could handle UHD / HDR (though, not Atmos) and the price was only $699.00. Imagine my surprise when they launched locally at a touch under R20,000 for a budget non Atmos processor :/

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 12:23:20 AM »
In your case the Classe needs 1 Vrms and the Emotiva 1.5Vrms to drive them to full power, put a decent preamp inbetween and try again. ;)
And ... your point ...the Classe will win hands down. .5 V rms is not going to make a serious difference and besides the Emotiva at full tonk is all bordering distortion. Not even closely in the same league. Cheap Chinese  made electronics with USA marketing BS versus truly dedicated dedicated high end audio. Funny thing is I don't even own any Classe products but my ears don't lie. Heard the best of both offerings and like I said ,Classe in a different  league . Price point shopping can only take you that far . ;)   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:29:06 AM by blizzard »

Offline Dolby

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 06:44:14 AM »
You must be trolling us, blizzard ?

Offline Dewald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
The only reason we are having this discussion is because the second hand market in SA potentially makes both options available to the discerning value hunter. Buying new this wouldn't even have been a discussion point ?

I have and had numerous Emotiva products and for the main they do what i need of them at a price my bank balance can handle ?

just my 2c.

This is exactly that. I had a budget, aimed for the Emotiva and got presented the opportunity for the Classe second hand at more or less the same price point. I listened to the Emotiva first and have done so before I decided on it. When I heard the difference I was amazed. Didn't even know Classe existed until that day and had to go research to get familiar. The lesson for me was that I need to push myself to audition more variety and even push over my budget requirements just to hear the difference. I can then make an informed decision based on upper end vs value for money etc. Personally I would rather safe some dough a little longer than to settle for what I can afford right now to get exactly what my preference is. Lesson Learned.
Integra 50.4 - MA GX200 Fronts - MA GX150 Centre - 2 x Velodine SPL 1000 Subs - Classe CA 2100 poweramp - Mede8er 1000EXT3D 3T -

Music Connects Us All

Offline Dewald

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
I am not sure which Integra you have but I have the 30.2. If I recall correctly it only gives out about 250mV on the pre out stage. A usual normal power amp usually needs about 1V on the input to drive it to full output depending on the design. I had to get a preamp, in my case Nad 1000 monitor series to lift the Integra preout signal to a decent level. It made all the difference on the power amps that I have used. Try it, you will be amazed. The OEM guy's manufacture their stuff so that you must use all their stuff. Integra AVR with Integra power and I think almost ALL the OEM guy's does that.

Now this is interesting to me. Would love to actually hear the difference.

I looked at spec sheet for the Integra 50.4 and it looks like this one (Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance 200 mV/470 Ω (PRE OUT) Then there is also this one (Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance 4.6 V/470 Ω (PRE OUT)

Any Recommendations for a decent pre-amp? Would love to do some auditions.
Integra 50.4 - MA GX200 Fronts - MA GX150 Centre - 2 x Velodine SPL 1000 Subs - Classe CA 2100 poweramp - Mede8er 1000EXT3D 3T -

Music Connects Us All

Offline blizzard

• Trader
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Now this is interesting to me. Would love to actually hear the difference.

I looked at spec sheet for the Integra 50.4 and it looks like this one (Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance 200 mV/470 Ω (PRE OUT) Then there is also this one (Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance 4.6 V/470 Ω (PRE OUT)

Any Recommendations for a decent pre-amp? Would love to do some auditions.

See if you can't  find a nice used Classe. Speak to BJ (Ben) on the forum,he may be able to advice and assist. ;)

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 10:56:13 AM »
Didn't Classe get swallowed up and spat out recently?
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline blizzard

• Trader
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 03:09:24 AM »
Didn't Classe get swallowed up and spat out recently?

Yup that's why I said "used" and he will be ok as their circuits are logical and spares available. After all it was a "classe act"  :point: 

Offline Dewald

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
A bit off-Beat from this topic but super excited that I found a second sub to add to my system!!  :Whoohoo:

Velodine is not so much supported in SA anymore (I believe they'll bounce back) but still such a pleasure to listen to. The Velodine SPL Ultra 10" now got a twin. Roof is gonna rattle tonight!  :groovy:

Music Connects Us All

Offline msch997

• AVForums Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
Yup that's why I said "used" and he will be ok as their circuits are logical and spares available. After all it was a "classe act"  :point:

Classe customer service overseas is still around.  Google them and drop them an email and ask for service manuals and circuit diagrams for your amplifier.  They should send those to you.  I did that for my power and pre and received service manuals and circuit diagrams by email for both.  It's insurance should you need a repair down the line.