Author Topic: Samsung QA65Q7FAM  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Dolby

Samsung QA65Q7FAM
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone got this model QLED at all?
How is it in general?
Does it work as a SmartThings Hub?

Samsung support say it does, but I'm always a bit iffy

Offline Dolby

Re: Samsung QA65Q7FAM
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »
So in case anyone else is curious, Smartthings does pick it up as a thing ... and Smartthings is compatible with Alex.

In other words, I say 'Alexa, good night' and it switches off all the lights / TV. When I say 'Alexa, movie time', the main lounge turns off, and a light from the rear turns on (ambient) - as well as the TV itself.

Offline RyanC

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:00:31 PM »
 :clap: sounds pretty nifty!

How did you set this up? I want to do something similar but have no idea where to start..

Offline Dolby

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
First, you buy a bunch of these things (http://www.smartkit.co.za/product/sonoff-basic/) @ roughly R135.00 each. These are WiFi relays and you hook them up to whatever you need to control via voice / phone .... so lighting (though, you need a neutral cable), lamps, water features, exterior security lights, coolers, fish pumps, any appliances really (within electrical spec) etc etc etc.

Then, you need download Smartthings on your smartphone (Samsungs own IoT platform) and it'll automatically detect Smartthings devices (ie certain TVs like the QLED or even new NUxxxx).

The final thing is getting a device with Amazon Alex a(ie Amazon Dot @ R1,100ish) and it ties the above together (and far, far more!). So you link both the lights and the Smartthings to Alexa and then control everything via it. You can link Spotify (ask for songs by title) and many other things too.

Last thing is optional (but handy) - download an app (free) on your mobile called IFTTT. The idea with this is If This Then That - so If x happens then do y. So, for example, If sunset, then switch on outside light.  Or If connect to certain WiFI, then do something ... or a certain time etc etc. Quite a number of variables
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:53:13 AM by Dolby »

Offline Dolby

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
Once that is all setup, you can make it react to certain phrases, ie :

'Alexa, entertainment time' - switch off main light, switch on lamps and TV
'Alexa, good night' - switch everything off, except the outside light (connected to sunrise/sunset)

I even have my irrigation attached, so I can say 'Alexa, tell Rainbird to water the front garden' or you can link things - ie If 'patio light on', then 'water feature on' and 'garden lights on'

Offline RyanC

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
First, you buy a bunch of these things (http://www.smartkit.co.za/product/sonoff-basic/) @ roughly R135.00 each. These are WiFi relays and you hook them up to whatever you need to control via voice / phone .... so lighting (though, you need a neutral cable), lamps, water features, exterior security lights, coolers, fish pumps, any appliances really (within electrical spec) etc etc etc.

Ok, you make it sound quite simple! I am quite tech savvy but no nothing about electrical work..this is something I've been stalling and wanting to do for some time so going to tackle it!

Great info to start with, thanks!

I have a Google Home Mini which is Google's Alexa...you think it would work or would I need to get an Alexa?

How did you get neutral for lights? Did you do this on your DB directly?

Offline RyanC

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »
Ok, looks like Google Home is also compatible.

Which firmware did you select? eWelink or Tasmota?

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
Also the new range of Denon (1500,2500,3500) & Marantz (5013,6013,7013) now have Alex voice control capability (when connected to an Amazon echo device)
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Dolby

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »
I have both the Google Home and the Amazon Dot - they should both work, but I use my Dot actually as a I find it easier to use for lights etc.

Regarding the neutral, I was one of the lucky ones with it installed into my switch. Apparently, 90% of houses  don't have a neutral cable running down ... and then I think you either a) have to pull one from the roof or b) install the Sonoff in the roof near the light. I have no idea about electrical issues either ... so I used an electrician. You can ask info@smartkit.co.za the best solution (he's a good friend of mine) and he can advise.

eWeLink firmware is the standard and that's why I'm using. Tasmota is more techies and tinkers ... if you want to play, you can get 1 x Tasmota to test. It offers far more and links to more systems, but beyond me.

I started the company with my friend, but I've bowed out due to time constraints. Check this site if you want more info from the guys - they're very clued up >>> https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/home-automation-smartkit.909279/

Offline RyanC

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
Thanks a lot Dolby! This makes for a good start..appreciate it! :thumbs:

Will start the learning process with something simple like the irrigation..

Excited!

Offline RyanC

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
Also the new range of Denon (1500,2500,3500) & Marantz (5013,6013,7013) now have Alex voice control capability (when connected to an Amazon echo device)

I like that the trend is going that way with AVRs and quickly too..bought my SR5011 in 2016 and did not know they 2 models ahead already!

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
I like that the trend is going that way with AVRs and quickly too..bought my SR5011 in 2016 and did not know they 2 models ahead already!
I don't know, the paranoid in me, says when they can tap into your everything you listen to, watch & say (should they wish to) not that I have anything to hide...but ya it's not ideal...I'm not so sure I like the Alexa/amazon/internet/cloud integration into everything eventually.

I bought my SR5012 a month ago as they launched the 5013 (just as everyone started price drops on old models with the new models imminent)
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline RyanC

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
Now that you mention it, I recall the 5012 going for something silly..like 11k on takealot. Paid 14 for my 5011. :facepalm:

Offline Dolby

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
For what it's worth - my equipment which is 'smart' :

Samsung 65" QLED
Sonoff POW (they measure power as well) and Sonoff Basic relays
Sonoff S20 smart plug
Rainbird ESP-RSPe and LNK WiFi controller
Amazon Alexa and Google Home
EZVIZ indoor and outdoor cameras.

I've been lucky enough to play with some really cool gear - so I was also using a system called www.alarm.com which was great, but expensive. The main complaint from people is no universal and single ecosystem. If you buy anything, you've got to use it via it's own app. IFTTT helps in a way - but not there.

Alarm.com was the 'glue' that held everything ... from a single app I could control my alarm, irrigation, lights, cameras and have some pretty killer rules that nothing rivals! If example :

'If front door opens between 18:00 - 6:00, while the alarm is activate, send notification and start recording on camera 1'
'If back door opens at 19:00 - 21:00, while alarm is deactivated, then switch on the lights 1 & 2 for 30 minutes only'

Offline Skylark

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 10:55:27 PM »
For home automation, what are the benefits or differences between Amazon Alexa or a Google home device?

Can Alexa also run searches to get info or pull up info from sites like Wikipedia or is Google home better for those kinds of things?
Music is in the Mind