Author Topic: Audio Analogue  (Read 1144 times)

Online Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Audio Analogue
« on: June 29, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »
I am very pleased and proud to announce that after many years Airmusic will be reunited with an old friend, Audio Analogue.

I also want to state it upfront that this change of ambassadors of Audio Analogue in SA from Achim and 13Hof to me and Airmusic was based on a friendly and constructive conversation between Achim and me. It makes sense for both of us in terms of how we are positioned, where our interests lie how we strategically are positioned.

I was the 1st agent of Audio Analogue when they were a young fledgeling company. After a visit to Tuscany, I ordered the 1st Puccini's SE and was very pleased with the sound, the industrial design and build quality. I never lost my admiration and affection for the Audio Analogue products and if a search is done on the forum many positive comments and support will be found. I also still have 2 Puccini SE that is in use in my own house.

Audio Analogue strategically drifted at times but I am very upbeat about their new direction since a year or 2 back where they went back to their roots, paying tribute to those classic integrated amplifiers the Puccini SE and Maestro albeit in new and improved guise, with the Puccini Anniversary and the Maestro Anniversary. I listened to both these designs during a recent visit to Europe and I am very excited about what I heard.

When I started out, my mentor in the business of hifi imparted the philosophy that one should only sell those products that one is willing to live with, well I have tried to stay true to this approach. My involvement with Audio Analogue continues along this approach! The 1st order has been placed.

Hope the Audio Analogue family will grow in SA

Online juventino

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Audio Analogue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
Congratulations
Some stunning equipment.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Audio Analogue
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
Nice.  Fond memories of the Puccini amplifiers. 

Wrong time to pass off any jokes?   They look really nice. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:43:07 AM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online stereosane

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Absolutely love the brand, so happy they still going to be represented on our shores  :dance:

Offline Stanp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
Wonderful :clap:
Read reviews and a test report for the Maestro Anniversary, seems to be an awesome amp.  :thumbs:

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
A few days to clear customs and we would know just how good the new generation amplifiers from Audio Analogue are.. :)

Offline Stanp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:18:18 PM »
Great news. Eagerly waiting to know how they sound :thumbs:

Offline carl

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »
I heard the Puccini Anniversary with Air speakers at Stefan last night...
Awesome sounding combination, wonderful tonally and just so natural sounding!
Thanks again for your hospitality Stefan.

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »
Good morning..

I have now been listening to the Puccini Anniversary for nearly a week. The listening was 50/50 split between attentive listening and background listening(DVD soundtracks etc). As context, I have installed a pair of my prototype speakers that I know very well, actually, it is the mid-range unit of the Vivace project with a different tweeter, configured as a 2 way and by using a bit of DSP EQ to compensate for the absence of the bass driver. As a source, I have used a number of different Dacs but not an Aqua unit as I am waiting for the next shipment of the S3s.

All I can say about the sound of the Puccini is that is fabulous from the 1st note I played it. One of the reviews of the new generation AA units used the expression fabulous and I cannot think of a more accurate description. It is a very musical amp, and I would say that anyone that is critical about it would be an audiophile rather than a music lover. I cannot see how purely as an instrument to make one access and enjoy all kinds of music anyone could not live happily ever after with the Puccini Anniversary.

If I have to give more insight into how it sounds I would say the words that first come to mind is that is very good in terms of tonality. I think warm and rich is a good description. It reminds me of a valve amp, maybe a good El 34 push-pull amp, or even a KT88/90/120. The comparison also is true in terms of the sense of dimensionality. It sounds very 3-dimensional. What however is fabulous to use the word again is how this warmth and dimensionality is not at the expense of detail. I found the detail, and the level of attack to be very good. The original Puccini SE achieved the warmth maybe at the expense of the detail and PRAT. I often commented that I viewed the original Puccini SE  as an "SS"  Quad II or even a Marantz 8B. The tone is good but it lacks a little insight and excitement. To be honest I would rather live with this kind of presentation than an overly etched and clinical sound. The Anniversary, however, does get the balance between tonality and warmth on one hand and detail, incisiveness and sense of timing on the other, hand spot on and correct. Furthermore, I also think the amp sounds big and powerful, impressively so. It seems to sound always easy, with plenty in reserve and in control.

In direct comparison to the Pathos TT, I would say that the Puccini match the TT on tone and maybe even beats it. The TT can easily sound thinner if the speakers and source are of lesser quality or not complementary. The TT is a hard taskmaster. If you get it right it will reward you with some of the most magical experience and SQ available. The match with the Aqua S3 and the Fiesole's was a good example of such synergy. However, when I replaced the S3 with the Ayre DAC the sound became stringent and although the detail was there as well as a sense of dynamics the tonality was to my liking too thin. The Puccini Anniversary seems to do much better than the TT with the Ayre. The Puccini Anniversary also sounds bigger and more powerful without any doubt then the TT. I think the TT has the edge on the inner detail or harmonic structure compared to the Audio Analogue amp. It is not a huge lead but for me it is discernable. I also think that although the sense of presence with the Puccini is very good, the real-life organic presence that the TT can create is unsurpassed. This is something that single-ended designs can do that other typologies just can match. Of course, this comes at a price of power and a necessity to match these kinds of amps with the right speakers. The Puccini Anniversary is more tolerant and will go a long way to achieve what the TT can do and it will be far less demanding of ancillary components. Maybe the Pathos Logos is perhaps the better comparison from my own ranges. I will do a comparison soon.   

Keep in mind that these observations are based on the Air speakers as explained. I will do a bit more experimentation with different speakers, most likely some Rosso Fiorentino models to see how it handles them.

Finally, I also like the ergonomics, living for years with the more basic Pathos TT, it is nice to have a more modern amp that has a mute function and a customisable volume control for example.

I think the Puccini Aniversary can easily become a cornerstone piece of a system, an amp that one can install, set up and then concentrate on the music. It might not be the best in certain respects compared to other esoteric designs but I think the voicing is superb for anyone music lover irrespective of genres. It would be an oversight not to single out how well it handles voices.  Such emotional and nuanced expressiveness is not easy to be found with modern designs. It really has the virtues of a modern-day valve amp with none of the hassles.

I hope to try it out in different contexts and will value input from those who have heard the new generation Audio Analogue amps. I would say that the fans of the older Audio Analogue sound would not be disappointed with the newer models, they might even be very surprised with the gains. The older models, especially the entry models are really a steal at the prices that are going around. The new units build on that legacy with confidence and should win the hearts of a new segment of an enthusiast as well.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:08:34 PM by Air »

Online stereosane

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
Stefan I couldnít agree more with what you have expressed here. Im on my second Audio Analogue amp now and Iíve been so impressed with them I donít feel the need to tryout more amps anymore.

They not very fussy about what speakers you match with them, I went through about 9 different pairs of bookshelf speakers on my AA Cresendo and I always felt the AA amp was able to bring out the strengths of the speakers not once did I feel the amp wasnít doing them justice. Definetly a music lovers amp.

AV Hub just reviewed the AA Cento amp and they pretty much said a lot what you said about the amps, there bench test results also confirmed it measured more like a tube amp than SS.

All in all I think they are wonderfully balanced amps.

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Just go ahead and panic.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »
I had the opportunity to listen to this setup.
Indeed AA amplification is something special indeed.
Great tonality, effortlessly musical, so easy to listen to.
With just the right amount of sweetness thrown in.
These Italians know what they're doing imho.

Offline carl

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
I must agree with the above 2 posts...
I've had my AA Maestro Anniversary for almost a week now and its sounding wonderful. Effortlessly musical, runs fairly cool and I'm spending way too much listening because its just sounds so nice and so right.

Offline Stanp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
It is very good to hear all these great comments about AA. Carl, may I ask what speakers the Maestro is driving?

Offline carl

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »
Iím using Franco Serblin Accordoís...

Offline Stanp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
Ah! okay. I have never heard them but they are absolutely beautiful looking speakers; a work of art :thumbs: . How do they sound?