Author Topic: Home cinema projector goodness  (Read 1483 times)

Offline MetalMilitia

Home cinema projector goodness
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:59:33 AM »
Decided to sell off my whole stereo system a few months back out of fear of the kids pushing over speakers or tugging on wires etc.  :sweat:

Kept the Onkyo receiver as it has served me well but replaced the speakers with wall mountable Jamo D500's which are probably the best speakers I have owned when it comes to movies! Even the Jamo D6's I had a few years back weren't as good...and best of all they can't be knocked over and all wiring has been hidden behind cornices and trunking so mom and dad can now watch a movie in peace  ;D

Mounted the Epson TW9000 that I bought from RS4 about a year ago. The projector and the screen have sadly been sitting in the garage for so long as there's never time to get it mounted...well this time I had a few days and decided it's about time! The colours and brightness astound me! I am using a 120" electronic screen as the TV is wall mounted behind it. We are using the tv during the week and the projector on weekends so that the novelty doesn't wear off too easily

Very worthwhile and even for an older projector the picture quality is just phenomenal! Not sure who enjoys the projector more, our kids or my mates who have been coming over to watch some soccer (yawn)

Pics taken with my phone so don't really do it justice but these should give an idea. Still need to do some adjustments and fine tuning on the projector itself also

Offline vleisman

Re: Home cinema projector goodness
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:07 AM »
Very nice!  :2thumbs:

Projectors are great. We use the TV because of the fireplace and the limited seating in our movie room, but I much prefer the projector. Aside from the bigger screen size, it just seems like a more natural picture to me (that is with 1080, we don't have 4K). Kind of like vinyl versus digital.  :sh1tstirrer:

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:59 PM »
Some movies just have to be watched on screen as big as you can make it.

Scenes from "5th Element" and "Valerian - City of 1000 planets", both Luc Besson's Sci-fi masterpieces.

Projector is Sony Bravia VPL-HW10 SXRD , screen is entry level material, about 2.5m horizontal. 
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline MetalMilitia

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
Fully agree, it does give a far more "natural" picture to me too but I guess that is dependent on projector being used also  :nfi:

We watched The Jungle Book over the weekend with the kids and the cinematography was superb I thought! Definitely one to add to the list for demo'ing despite the movie itself not being a winner

Offline naughty

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »
congrats  :thumbs: .... it looks great

i wish i could use a projector but my room is just not dark enough - i will definitely need to do something drastic about the patio doors and other windows in the room in order to be able to use a projector but its definitely in my long term "to do" list

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 08:40:41 AM »
Fully agree, it does give a far more "natural" picture to me too but I guess that is dependent on projector being used also  :nfi:

We watched The Jungle Book over the weekend with the kids and the cinematography was superb I thought! Definitely one to add to the list for demo'ing despite the movie itself not being a winner

Run it in cinema mode.

Offline arvie

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »
That's an extremely neat installation of the projector on the ceiling.  I can't see any cables in sight.

I have a similar setup with electric screen coming over wall mounted TV.  Did you use special brackets for the offset from the wall?

Definitely agree, projectors really add to our movie night enjoyment, very cool setup, well done  :thumbs:

Offline RyanC

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »
Awesome quality and very neat install! :thumbs:

Offline JESX

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
Looks great... I need a projector set up!

Sent from my ATU-L21 using Tapatalk