Author Topic: 75” tv options  (Read 1054 times)

Offline bearenzo

Re: 75” tv options
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Only the Q9FN.

Eish .....
Which 65' TV will you recommend if my budget is around R35k ?

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 02:24:01 PM »
Eish .....
Oled may be available at lower than that price soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
For the fun of it, go check the Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD LED TV's. Last year we were at E-phenay and they had a 80'' on the display. What amazed me was the level of detail. Hein explained that Sharp is running a extra pixel that is yellow with other 3 main pixel colors, that's why the detail was so clean and bright. I think KenMaster with give us more detail on this to. 
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Dolby

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
Doesn't OLED have image retention, ala old plasma displays?

Not that I have the bucks for a new TV, but if I did, I'd be very weary of retention again

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »

Not that I have the bucks for a new TV, but if I did, I'd be very weary of retention again
I heard these things... with Plasma too. That’s said, I have the first LG 42” plasma released nearly 2 decades ago still hanging in my garage. Image is still better than many other modern TV’s I see. Never move it because that requires two sets of arms!

Online naks

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
For image quality, LG Oled.

The 2018 series are going to be extremely expensive for this size, but nothing wrong with the 2017 lineup.

Makro should have the 75", bargain with them if you can find a lower price online.
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 03:07:53 PM »
Eish .....

I couldn't say, don't know your market. If you gave me options I could tell you what I thought of the TVs.

For the fun of it, go check the Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD LED TV's. Last year we were at E-phenay and they had a 80'' on the display. What amazed me was the level of detail. Hein explained that Sharp is running a extra pixel that is yellow with other 3 main pixel colors, that's why the detail was so clean and bright. I think KenMaster with give us more detail on this to.

I'd guess that was quite an old panel. Sharp crops up in the news every now and then (an 8K monitor most recently), but seem focused on commercial displays outside of Japan only (not counting the rebrands).

They do, but nothing like you may have experienced with plasma - OLEDs are much less susceptible to image retention.

Offline Jason Willemse

75” tv options
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:12 PM »
As far as Ultra HDTVs go, the best options in S.A. from a performance aspect is an LG OLED or the 2018 Samsung Q9FN - the Samsung for brighter living room conditions and the OLED for a dimmer room.

The Hisense sounds promising spec wise, but their higher-end TVs aren't known for having a particularly good picture. The panel on paper is more than capable, but Hisense themselves drop the ball due to a lack of understanding of picture standards.

The Samsung MU7000 isn't in the same category as the other three TVs mentioned as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for rendering Ultra HD material.
The LG 65” C7 OLED, after checking out the opposition offers, is seeming to be a very alluring offer as the price is dropping to make way for the newer model.

The C8 is soon available if not already, but will have a large price difference.

At 35k, would you consider this a good buy then? Thanks.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
The LG 65” C7 OLED, after checking out the opposition offers, is seeming to be a very alluring offer as the price is dropping to make way for the newer model.

The C8 is soon available if not already, but will have a large price difference.

At 35k, would you consider this a good buy then? Thanks.

Oh for sure, fantastic TV, very accurate out the box in the right presets as well (though you still need to go in and disable some of the enhancement features).

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »
Oh for sure, fantastic TV, very accurate out the box in the right presets as well (though you still need to go in and disable some of the enhancement features).
Awesome thanks!

Offline Dolby

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
I commented earlier, but hadn't bought anything. On the weekend though, I bought a Samsung 65" Q7F for a few reasons :

- Value : To get the same size screen, I'd need to add 20%+ to my budget or lower screen size - neither could be done.

- Imagine Quality - Not nearly as different as I thought! Yes, the OLED has the edge overall - but brightness and wide colour gamut are much better on the Samsung. The difference when visible, didn't justify (to me) eating baked beans another month ;)

- I really enjoy the Samsung One Connect for wall mounting. It's much neater and easier, and believe it or not - one of the features I really wanted.

On the LG though, the two features I really wanted were Dolby Vision and Netflix Atmos streaming. So, I lose those now :/ Image retention was also a concern because, although people say it isn't an issue, there are a number of 'only a few seconds' on the screen.

Offline Jason Willemse

75” tv options
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
I commented earlier, but hadn't bought anything. On the weekend though, I bought a Samsung 65" Q7F for a few reasons :

- Value : To get the same size screen, I'd need to add 20%+ to my budget or lower screen size - neither could be done.

- Imagine Quality - Not nearly as different as I thought! Yes, the OLED has the edge overall - but brightness and wide colour gamut are much better on the Samsung. The difference when visible, didn't justify (to me) eating baked beans another month

- I really enjoy the Samsung One Connect for wall mounting. It's much neater and easier, and believe it or not - one of the features I really wanted.

On the LG though, the two features I really wanted were Dolby Vision and Netflix Atmos streaming. So, I lose those now :/ Image retention was also a concern because, although people say it isn't an issue, there are a number of 'only a few seconds' on the screen.
What price did you pay?

The one connect is great, but I have a power point behind my screen, as well as chased in hdmi, so less of a factor for me.

I’ve read as much as I can on the potential retention. It is a risk, but we watch movies mostly and have no channels with logos, so that puts me at the lower end of the risk register.

Plasma has risks too, and I bought the first ones in SA. Probably near 20 years and it’s still hanging with no retention.

The QLED is nice too though. It’s just that at the reduced price coming up, it seems a great choice for me.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:05:18 PM by Jason Willemse »

Offline Spurge

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
For me >>>

Go big or go home.

75" price points have become affordable.

Time to consider giving up on projectors.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
For me >>>

Go big or go home.

75" price points have become affordable.

Time to consider giving up on projectors.
Wanted a 75... still do. But the quality in the “reasonable” price range a lacking.

Did my best to find a 75 with decent spec... not prepared to sped over 100k on a tv.

Offline Dolby

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:06 PM »
What price did you pay?

I paid R29,995.00 - that was the biggest reason for me. I see many other retailers have followed suite in the last week, but a week back Dionwired were at R44,999.00 and even Takealot was R38,000.00. I think most still had late R30,000s / early R40,000s

Yea when I mounted, we didn't chase - we did a conduit hidden under the wall cladding. I had 6 cables running down that channel, which kept pushing the cover of the cables off. 6 cables was too much ... so that was next thing.

And retention was a worry because of my gaming. But yea - not everyone has this worry

Cladding is probably only 7cm thick or so