Author Topic: 75 tv options  (Read 641 times)

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
75 tv options
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »
I want a 75. 4k / hdr, and good value. Talk to me about sound, Ill happily engage, but know fairly little about TVs beyond the basics.

Id love an LG oled, but budget-wise it gets expensive, and would have to settle for the 65 at around the 30k-ish mark.

Samsung... always had them, but cant say Ive ever loved them either. Offered the MU7000 series 75 at 23k, good value but have doubts.

Hisense 75 U9A model... around 46k.

Your thoughts please. I already have an HD50 projector, its awesome but I still need a big tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online andredt

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: 75 tv options
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »
I looked at that size TV when buying my LG OLED last week and the problem is if you buy a not so good quality big tv ( that size you notice it more)

What is your viewing distance from the TV?
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki

Offline Jason Willemse

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »
I looked at that size TV when buying my LG OLED last week and the problem is if you buy a not so good quality big tv ( that size you notice it more)

What is your viewing distance from the TV?
Around 4.5 - 5m

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »
As far as Ultra HDTVs go, the best options in S.A. from a performance aspect is an LG OLED or the 2018 Samsung Q9FN - the Samsung for brighter living room conditions and the OLED for a dimmer room.

The Hisense sounds promising spec wise, but their higher-end TVs aren't known for having a particularly good picture. The panel on paper is more than capable, but Hisense themselves drop the ball due to a lack of understanding of picture standards.

The Samsung MU7000 isn't in the same category as the other three TVs mentioned as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for rendering Ultra HD material.

Offline Jason Willemse

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »
As far as Ultra HDTVs go, the best options in S.A. from a performance aspect is an LG OLED or the 2018 Samsung Q9FN - the Samsung for brighter living room conditions and the OLED for a dimmer room.

The Hisense sounds promising spec wise, but their higher-end TVs aren't known for having a particularly good picture. The panel on paper is more than capable, but Hisense themselves drop the ball due to a lack of understanding of picture standards.

The Samsung MU7000 isn't in the same category as the other three TVs mentioned as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for rendering Ultra HD material.
Thanks - this is useful info.

Offline kalith

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »
Saw this today. Really good price for a samsung :
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/samsung-/br-189-cm-75-smart-uhd-led-tv-346093EA

I got the Hisense 70Inch and i am very happy with what i paid and what i received.
That being said if the 75 was that price at the time i would have very strongly looked at it.

There are very few 70/75 TV's that do 1000nits remotely within your price hopes.
That being said i have seen a XBOX X with HDR on a MU7000 and there is a significant improvement. I compared it too a 42Inch LG FHD screen and the difference was breathtaking even with the samsungs gimped 400 NITS HDR.
That being said if your talking "proper" 1000nits HDR thats something special altogether and it gets priced as such.

if it was my money i would take the 75 sammy even thou i despise their SA business practices.

Offline Jason Willemse

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Saw this today. Really good price for a samsung :
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/samsung-/br-189-cm-75-smart-uhd-led-tv-346093EA

I got the Hisense 70Inch and i am very happy with what i paid and what i received.
That being said if the 75 was that price at the time i would have very strongly looked at it.

There are very few 70/75 TV's that do 1000nits remotely within your price hopes.
That being said i have seen a XBOX X with HDR on a MU7000 and there is a significant improvement. I compared it too a 42Inch LG FHD screen and the difference was breathtaking even with the samsungs gimped 400 NITS HDR.
That being said if your talking "proper" 1000nits HDR thats something special altogether and it gets priced as such.

if it was my money i would take the 75 sammy even thou i despise their SA business practices.
Thanks - that Samsung is the same one that will soon see a significantly reduced price to what you mention. Still, Im not happy with enough with the spec and reviews.

Id rather spend more and be happy. All the kit is 4k HDR ready, so need the tv to match.

Offline bearenzo

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
Have you consider this ?
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/samsung-/br-163-cm-65-smart-qled-tv-352612EA

I was at the Dion Wired 2 days ago, was impressed by its quality.
Compared to the 4k 65' LG OLED, I felt the 4K QLED has better detail at the dark image.
The OLED does show the perfect black like no others, but it looks like a big block of black without detail.
I prefer QLED a little more than OLED at this stage.

Offline Jason Willemse

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
Have you consider this ?
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/samsung-/br-163-cm-65-smart-qled-tv-352612EA

Compared to the 4k 65' LG OLED, I felt the 4K QLED has better detail at the dark image.
The OLED does show the perfect black like no others, but it looks like a big block of black without detail.
I have - and its a good deal. I have my heart set on 75 and above, but if that involves quality compromise will certainly look at the 65s. Interesting your take on the oled vs qled. I have all Samsung TVs currently, previously LG. With limited exposure to current trends, I preferred the LG historically. Some of the Samsungs I have had were total cr@p.

Offline Jason Willemse

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Not at liberty to say much more, but watch the month of August for the Makro birthday month offer on TVs...

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »
Have you consider this ?

Outside of the fact that it's an edge-lit LED, which immediately puts it rather far on the back foot compared to the OLED, there's nothing wrong with shadow detail on 2017 and above OLEDs. It's a simple matter of picking the right preset and verifying the Brightness level.

The only "QLED" TV that is comparable to an OLED from a picture quality point of view is the Q9FN. That being said, if you're not precious about image quality and watch TV in a bright room, the "QLED" range is a good one to go for.

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
I have - and its a good deal. I have my heart set on 75 and above, but if that involves quality compromise will certainly look at the 65s. Interesting your take on the oled vs qled. I have all Samsung TVs currently, previously LG. With limited exposure to current trends, I preferred the LG historically. Some of the Samsungs I have had were total cr@p.

My experience is different.
I'm using a 5 years old LG LED, and quite a lot of dots at the one corner are disappeared already. ( complete dark, no image at all )
That's why I'm hunting my next TV now. 

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
My experience is different.
I'm using a 5 years old LG LED, and quite a lot of dots at the one corner are disappeared already. ( complete dark, no image at all )
That's why I'm hunting my next TV now.

I don't recommend LG LCDs in general on picture quality grounds. Rather Samsung yes.

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
Outside of the fact that it's an edge-lit LED, which immediately puts it rather far on the back foot compared to the OLED, there's nothing wrong with shadow detail on 2017 and above OLEDs. It's a simple matter of picking the right preset and verifying the Brightness level.

The only "QLED" TV that is comparable to an OLED from a picture quality point of view is the Q9FN. That being said, if you're not precious about image quality and watch TV in a bright room, the "QLED" range is a good one to go for.

The 2018 QLED are backlighting
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-qled-tv-models-qled-price-3367473

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran