Author Topic: A sneak peak listen to the new Bentley Acoustics series in development.  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Imaging is also affected by the off-axis response (how the speaker interacts with adjacent objects). The amplifier has no role in this. However, I usually take what anyone says about imaging with a pinch of salt, because it is not only subjective, but also depends on the nature of the source material (i.e., the recording).

I'd still classify that as placement surely?

Or, will 2 different speakers have a different imaging effect even if all else remains the same? So in the exact same position, same room, same amplifier & matched gain level, same source material. So all that changes is the speakers & I will therefore hear a greater (or lesser) stereo effect?
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+7)
placement will enhance it but in this case i tried to get a near flat phase response. this as a start does gives a better imaging than a speaker that does not have the same phase response.

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+7)
here you have two, two way speakers.

first one with flat phase response gives a more holographic imaging than the second one irrespective of FR

ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY

Online naughty

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
I'd still classify that as placement surely?

Or, will 2 different speakers have a different imaging effect even if all else remains the same? So in the exact same position, same room, same amplifier & matched gain level, same source material. So all that changes is the speakers & I will therefore hear a greater (or lesser) stereo effect?

in my experience every speaker i tried with the same amplifier has a different imaging effect - as an example between my Cambridge Audio Aero 6 and Tannoy Mercury MX1 - with certain recordings the Aero's project to almost 2 metres past the speakers and in the same room with the same amp at similar volume levels the Tannoys struggle to make the same track project to more than 10 centimetres past the speakers (this is not unexpected since the speakers are in different price categories as well as sizes and also in different performance categories) but yep i agree with Shonver it has a lot to do with on-axis and off-axis responses

again just my experience whilst others may differ .... just also want to point out that this experience isnt limited to just the two pairs of speakers mentioned above since i have tried more speakers in the same room with the same amplifier (not always in millimeter identical placement though since the placement .... and toe-in depended a lot on the size of the speakers) and some had better imaging than others

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Grandmaster
Stunning, thank you all. I have learnt from this!

Will play over the weekend with different sets of bookshelves in the lounge - as much as is possible without a perfectly controlled environment anyhow!

Thanks again.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Dreamerm6

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
As impressive as the 100s are the 200s really fall into a different bracket. They are more detailed, more clear without being bright, better vocals and with more controlled bass. If I can describe it as "More detailed bass".
Obviously the finished product will have better spacing etc .
For example, When you listen to the 683 they sound amazing then you hook up the Jamo c97 and the 683 almost sounds a little muffled, then you hook up the fs120 and the Jamos seem muffled. So you think to yourself that these can't really get much better. Then you connect the 200s and all of a sudden you are in a different league. Yes pricing league also but this way people can appreciate why some speakers are more expensive than others and what a big difference different drivers and cabinets and crossovers really make.
Once again anyone who would like to hear them please give me a call I'll gladly assist.

Offline Justin83

• AVForums Junior Member
Re: A sneak peak listen to the new Bentley Acoustics series in development.
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »
 I cant wait to hear and see them in the flesh. Do you know when they will be ready ?  :)

Offline Dreamerm6

• Commercial Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »
Hopefully in the next 30 days!! Holding thumbs!

Offline revtoluck

• AVForums Member
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2018, 11:23:29 AM »
Last week on Tuesday (14 August), I got the opportunity to view the Bentley Acoustics and listen to them. What  I can say is wow. Great speakers, starting from the smallest bookshelves to the big boys. I am already saving for the 7.2 set.

Thanks Dreamer for being such a talented business man.

Lets us support this proudly South African products.

Offline Kontanie

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
Last week on Tuesday (14 August), I got the opportunity to view the Bentley Acoustics and listen to them. What  I can say is wow. Great speakers, starting from the smallest bookshelves to the big boys. I am already saving for the 7.2 set.

Lets us support this proudly South African products

+ 1              :2thumbs:.

Offline Dreamerm6

• Commercial Member
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 05:23:17 PM »

Lets us support this proudly South African products.

Thank you for the kind words!! Glad they impressed you, wait till you hear the 200 series!   :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
Ok... all this hype canít be too wrong. Pulled the trigger on a set of 250ís and look forward to reviewing them here against some heavy hitters! Thanks Morne & Vaughan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »
Ok... all this hype canít be too wrong. Pulled the trigger on a set of 250ís and look forward to reviewing them here against some heavy hitters! Thanks Morne & Vaughan.

Im also in line so many people cant be wrong. I hope :D im going to put the FR200 up against a pair of MA golds and a set of 705S2 and see if they box in the big league.

Am i right in comparing them to these ?

If they do i will be mightily impressed and change my entire setup.
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki

Offline Jason Willemse

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 04:27:46 PM »
Im also in line so many people cant be wrong. I hope :D im going to put the FR200 up against a pair of MA golds and a set of 705S2 and see if they box in the big league.

Am i right in comparing them to these ?

If they do i will be mightily impressed and change my entire setup.
Will be interesting... but cannot comment fairly. Iíll be putting them up against MA plats and Jamo Oriels. Two very different speakers, but will give good perspective.

I have spent way too little time with B&W to give a perspective, except with some of their monsters.

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
Will be interesting... but cannot comment fairly. Iíll be putting them up against MA plats and Jamo Oriels. Two very different speakers, but will give good perspective.

I have spent way too little time with B&W to give a perspective, except with some of their monsters.

Those are heavy weights you putting them up against. This is going to be really interesting.
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki