Author Topic: A sneak peak listen to the new Bentley Acoustics series in development.  (Read 1190 times)

Offline seanjammy

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
Took a listen to these yesterday.

I've listened to a few speakers in Rudi's room, and nothing ever really sounds bad. However these were particularly interesting. Tonally they manage to be somewhat laid back, yet the uncanny speed gives them a vibrancy which I found really enjoyable - yet non fatiguing. A nice, fat bottom end manages to sound like I remember my good old ARs in sealed cabinets.

Staging was also surprising - there is a sense of depth that was great. Apparently the smaller models throw a wider stage, with more space around instruments - this would be one of my few criticisms. At the price I would imagine these to sell this, I think they are a winner.

Offline Dreamerm6

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
I have the 220 set floorstanders and 200 Bookshelf speakers at my place and any one is welcome to pop in and have a listen, I personally haven't heard speakers as clear and detailed as these, and I have heard many many brands..
Staging is like a 3d hologram singing right in front of you and sometimes sound like 5.1 is playing even though it is in stereo.

Price point will be below 30k for the biggest in the range and they should easily destroy most 100k + models out there.

But don't take my word for it, come and have a listen!

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+7)
playing with a bit more current

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
and some low power tested as well

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Nice. Looking forward to Saturday morning. Charge up the Espresso machine...

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

Offline SeanS

• AVForums Grandmaster
FS250
almost done
getting a clean 30hz and higher 20hz in room

Looking good... driver placement however looks `uneasy`... realize it is  early stages  :thumbs:

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Looking good... driver placement however looks `uneasy`... realize it is  early stages  :thumbs:

That also caught my eye, as an art director, I'm also not comfortable with that spacing - especially the tweeter shoved so close to the top edge there.

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
we will have discussed the spaced above the tweeter and that will be changing. but the two 6" is a form follows function scenario. they in two diffirent sized cabs to form part of the staggered bass response. once in the piano black cabs it will be less of a issue i think

Offline SeanS

• AVForums Grandmaster
yep tweeter top space looks like it needs consideration.. lessening the colour contrast will definitely help. The centralized vertical line is strong, worth a thought. Fantastic job being an armchair critic  :O0:

Offline bbe22

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Check this -  the same number of drivers implemented a bit different - many other variations too of course :)  best of luck with the decisions and progress

http://www.audiostereo.ro/XN_360_main.html

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+45)

We usually start every listening session with a highlights reel of the last session to orientate ourselves, though perhaps it is only me that needs orienting. After doing this initial warm up with the 220 I didn't have any specific comments to make. I recall thinking that I hadn't heard the character of the speaker yet. No feature of the sound was pronounced such to draw my attention to it. This is good. It reminded me a bit of the sound that I have heard from studio monitors like Genelec, but with less upper mid bite. 

Sangen Om Ka Ho Anna Drømte Om - Kari Bremnes and Schenkt Man Sich Rosen In Tirol - Elisabeth Schwarzkopf are two tracks that I particularly enjoyed.

After about an hour of listening we played “difficult mixes” on these speakers. They are difficult mainly in the sense that they have a lot of energy in the high frequencies.

The Lovecats (Acoustic Version) - The Cure

Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy

Cheek to Cheek - Eva Cassidy

And a few others that I now forget were mixed more brightly than the rest of the music that we listened to, but still sounded great and didn’t irritate.

For me the strongest point of these speakers is that their stereo imaging is very good and they have lots of detail without being fatiguing. The bass is there on the 220, but for those that want even deeper and more powerful bass there is the 250, which I was also lucky to hear tonight with a variety of amplifiers.

Offline PJFourie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
Great work Rudi! They look awesome and I’m sure they sound that way too. The 100 series is brilliant so I can’t wait to hear the 200’s. I support the Bentley’s 110%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
We usually start every listening session with a highlights reel of the last session to orientate ourselves, though perhaps it is only me that needs orienting. After doing this initial warm up with the 220 I didn't have any specific comments to make. I recall thinking that I hadn't heard the character of the speaker yet. No feature of the sound was pronounced such to draw my attention to it. This is good. It reminded me a bit of the sound that I have heard from studio monitors like Genelec, but with less upper mid bite. 

Sangen Om Ka Ho Anna Drømte Om - Kari Bremnes and Schenkt Man Sich Rosen In Tirol - Elisabeth Schwarzkopf are two tracks that I particularly enjoyed.

After about an hour of listening we played “difficult mixes” on these speakers. They are difficult mainly in the sense that they have a lot of energy in the high frequencies.

The Lovecats (Acoustic Version) - The Cure

Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy

Cheek to Cheek - Eva Cassidy

And a few others that I now forget were mixed more brightly than the rest of the music that we listened to, but still sounded great and didn’t irritate.

For me the strongest point of these speakers is that their stereo imaging is very good and they have lots of detail without being fatiguing. The bass is there on the 220, but for those that want even deeper and more powerful bass there is the 250, which I was also lucky to hear tonight with a variety of amplifiers.

The part on bold refers. Please forgive my ignorance.

How is this possible? Imaging is produced through positioning & to some extent through the amplifier used. The speakers themselves surely cannot create a greater or lesser stereo image?
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
How is this possible? Imaging is produced through positioning & to some extent through the amplifier used. The speakers themselves surely cannot create a greater or lesser stereo image?

Imaging is also affected by the off-axis response (how the speaker interacts with adjacent objects). The amplifier has no role in this. However, I usually take what anyone says about imaging with a pinch of salt, because it is not only subjective, but also depends on the nature of the source material (i.e., the recording).

DON'T PANIC
Capie