Author Topic: Looking for bookshelf speaker recommendations to pair with my tube amplifier  (Read 1522 times)

Offline stereosane

Buy those ProAc and you’ll be happy for a very very long time. Ive also got the ProAc 1SC and they just sing on my tube amp, Sometimes I wonder if I really need anything more than them, they just so satisfying to listen to  :dance:

Offline wonderbob

Buy those ProAc and you’ll be happy for a very very long time. Ive also got the ProAc 1SC and they just sing on my tube amp, Sometimes I wonder if I really need anything more than them, they just so satisfying to listen to  :dance:

They are unfortunately just too far outside my budget... and I am (for now) quite settled on the idea of getting a pair of 'out of the box' speakers... although both of these facts might change.

Online Bruce M

Wonderbob is looking for sensitive speakers for a lower power valve amp.

The Bentley, Boston and Proac's are all 89 dB?

From the little bit of "research" I did, anything less that 90 dB is not really sensitive enough for low power valve applications.

bbe22's suggestion is interesting, those are 95 and 98 dB.

The Klipsch R15m is 94.

The Klipsch R24f Judy suggested is 95.

I think the Monitor Audio Silver range is also quite high.

These Castle Knight 2's are 90 dB and have decent reviews, also nice low frequency response for a bookshelf:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,71780.0.html

1 dB difference doesn't sound like much but it's a log scale, so a 3 dB deference is something like double the efficiency/sensitivity. i.e. half the power required to achieve the same "loudness". Or something to that effect....

Of course, all the numbers above are claimed by the manufacturers, so who knows really?

Wonderbob, what sort of output is your Mars amp?

Offline stereosane

The ProAc response is measured at 84 or 85 dB sensitivity and 20w tube power is enough to play them loud, I think impedance might make more of a difference when it come to tube amps and certain speakers.

Enjoy the hunt, always nice to get a new pair fresh out the box :)

Online bbe22

@Bruce:   re    bbe22's suggestion is interesting, those are 95 and 98 dB.
..........................yup you noticed  - my recommendation was based on higher sensitivity to match the amp , whilst retaining some respectable bass performance too ,
and within budget   -  none of the rest is even close .... trade off  - some assembly and finish needed    ( and those won't be tiny in size )

Offline iondb

I also use a Karel Mars amp of about 9~10 years old, about 12~15W per channel. I used the Klipsch RF52 speakers with them and now recently the Castle Knight 2 bookshelf speakers. I am happy with them, BUT, my setup is super near-field so I do not need a lot of power to get the speakers to decent output levels.

Offline charles

As a collector and user of valve amplifiers I prefer floor-standing speakers.

Just a personal opinion, some bookshelf speakers does not interface correct
with certain valve amplifiers.

Offline wonderbob

As a collector and user of valve amplifiers I prefer floor-standing speakers.

Just a personal opinion, some bookshelf speakers does not interface correct
with certain valve amplifiers.

Unfortunately current circumstances only allows for bookshelf speakers to be used. Somewhere in the (hopefully) not too distant future I will upgrade to floor standing speakers. For now though I am just looking to upgrade from second hand cheapies to something new and proven and bring the last link in the chain up to a better standard. Mars Amp into cheap old speakers just not good enough anymore!

Although the DIY suggestion looks really good, I just do not have the time at the moment to build a set of speakers... I just want to plug and play!

At the moment I keep going back to the Klipsch R15m...

Thanks for all the discussion and input everybody! Very interesting and educational.

Online Bruce M

Where in the world are you Wonderbob?

I'm in CT southern suburbs if you want to try your Mars on my set sometime?

Offline wonderbob

Where in the world are you Wonderbob?

I'm in CT southern suburbs if you want to try your Mars on my set sometime?

Thanks for the offer Bruce, I am actually in Cape Town, but life is busy and not sure I will have the time for such an activity... I will have a look at my schedule  :thumbs:

Offline fredeb

Gracious offer by Bruce - do it Wonderbob !
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Online Bruce M

Admittedly I may also have wanted to hear how much better the Mars sounded than my old Pioneer.....

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
For your budget you are better off buying S/H but good condition/refurbished.  If you are set on new I’d Suggest Castle or Tannoy speakers (I love both), if S/H go for the older versions of the same but add early Wharfedales/BW and Rogers/Leak into the mix.  Finally, I’d suggest that even ‘flea’ amps can sound great with modern speakers that can take 100+W.  So really no advice other than try a few and see what you like.  Your budget will no doubt buy a much better S/H than new
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Ricketysmurf

Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Online Bruce M

Hi wonderbob, check this:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,72497.msg861244.html#msg861244

Good rep, good sensitivity (90 dB), and no rear ports so will work well on an actual shelf.

A bit old, but great reputation.