Author Topic: How often do you listen to your hi-fi system  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Pholo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
How often do you listen to your hi-fi system
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:40:36 PM »
For an average folk it take years to build your dream set-up. After all the sacrifices you finally have it. The thing is do you really get enough time to sit in front of it and enjoy fruits of your labour. I met one forum member in Gauteng. He has assembled a very expensive Nad master series setup. It sounds really awesome. But he admitted that he hardly have ample time to enjoy it. Work obligations and too much travelling were cited as reasons why.
In such situations does it mean one buys a decent system merely for bragging or what.

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+15)
Re: How often do you listen to your hi-fi system
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 04:14:28 AM »
1-2 times a week.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »
my main system is a 7.1 channel surround system and i use it for TV viewing as well so it gets a fair amount of use - but obviously the entire system only gets a workout when i use it for full surround movies .... and i use it for music listening around once or twice a week

my secondary system is connected to my PC so currently while im tagging and enabling coverart to all my music files im using it everyday so my secondary system is basically used everyday for music listening

none of my systems give me bragging rights because in terms of equipment value its far lesser (by huge margins) than what i had previously and my previous stuff easily qualified for bragging rights and while my current stuff doesnt, it still gives me far more or as much enjoyment than some of the more expensive stuff i had (probably due to system synergy) so i really dont believe in having in having a system for bragging rights anymore .... and if others want that then its up to them because they spend their own money  .... but im now a fan of having usable stuff that works for what i want it to do
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:32:24 AM by naughty »

Offline stereosane

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:37:23 AM »
Sadly my main system is in the family lounge so I only get a proper listen when Iím alone which is maybe once a week :( fortunately I have a nice second system that is in my bedroom which I listen to 4-5 days a week.

Hopefully when I buy my own house Iíll have a dedicated room to enjoy both systems in..

Online Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:16:35 AM »
Define "use" & "listen"?

If you mean sit & do nothing else except listen to music, then very rarely is our system ever used. Maybe once a month.

If you mean how often is it in use then the answer is daily. There is music playing every evening late afternoon/evening when we cook dinner.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline stanhic

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:04 AM »
 :Whoohoo:

My system gets used daily. Sitting down and only enjoying the music, atleast once a week. But when we get home, the first thing I do is put an LP on, and then start making food or doing what ever needs to be done, always with music playing

Online KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »
I've got no time concerns, in front of my system most of the day - movies, games, shows, music, it gets a lot of use. During the week most of my music listening is done while out and about, but I average about a half hour to an hour on the home system. On the weekend though my wife and I will spend hours on a Friday and/or Saturday night listening to music. A daily favourite is grooving to a humble Denon Bluetooth speaker I have in the bathroom while showering.

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 08:17:56 AM »
Every day.  From about 9.30am when I am doing something on the computer, which is in the same room.  I will then sit down and listen to a new album on Tidal, usually friend's recommendations

Unfortunately my wife is deaf so does not appreciate music.  Its nice to have someone around to listen to music with you

I "discovered" this recording on Tidal recently.  Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found the pieces astonishing

Offline stereoholic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »
A few hours almost every weekend.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:11 AM »
I listen to music most nights, around 1-2 hours 
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »
Mostly work from home so all the time.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
Not enough
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Audioholic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »
Main system in listening room: once a week...prob 30-45 mins only. Not enough time just to pause and enjoy!
Bedroom system: about 15 mins every evening (mostly for nursery rhymes :BWAHAHAH:)
Stereo: Pioneer, pioneer and more pioneer, Sonor Audio, Denon, Energy, Audiolab
HT: Onkyo, Taga Harmony, Velodyne

Offline Wim

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
I listen every evening in the week after work for at least an hour. Cannot go too loud in the week, though. Kids, exams, school night, homework, grumpy wife, choir activities, sport activities, etc.... any one or more of those in play at any given time in the week! And cans just don't work for me. Got some Sennheizers I plug into the ipad but just not the same.

Over weekends I listen the way I WANT to listen, when I get a chance. Then the neighbours gets to appreaciate it too! Must admit, when listening the way I like it, I took a walk outside and it is not too bad. My neighbour is worst so he can not complain.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
Living solo in London the last year there's been music playing whenever I'm at home.  It's helped make the time away from my wife and son a little easier. Past month though it's been a renovation rumble with parts of my hifi in my boot and others at a friend's place waiting for the renovation to end. Family joins me in July at which point I'll have to see where I can set up my ATC bookshelves for some listening, but spending time with my family is going to be my number one priority when not at work.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.