Listening Impressions - Audio Technica ATH-M70x

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capetownwatches

Veteran Nogschlepper
Reaction score
I listened to the Audio Technica ATH-M70x this afternoon. Source was my LG V20 with a variety of hi-res and Redbook files.
A Cash Crusaders store not the best place for critical evaluation on a stormy Cape day, but good enough.

The bad: plastic build quality, uncomfortable (pads too thin), headband too thin although reasonably padded.
Not good enough for a R6,000 headphone, or even a R1,900 one (their best price).
One of the thin aluminium sliders was bent. Not serious, but would bug me.

The good: surprisingly good sound quality. Very open and very detailed. Good channel separation.
Bass is lacking in quantity but what is there is very tight and detailed.
I kept thinking they might sound way better amped. Pity I'll probably never know.

Mids are again surprisingly detailed and accurate. Not lush, but Amber Rubarth's drawl sounded fine.
As did the guitars of Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen, for the most part.

Alas the highs kill this otherwise rather good phone. Brittle. Sibilant. Just too much of it.
And if I think thus (I like my highs prominent), trust me - I imagine this baby would render the treble-sensitive helpless within seconds.
Amping would likely make things worse, and a low impedance doesn't help matters.

My record of never having heard an AT headphone that I liked thus remains intact.