Author Topic: 4k streaming box  (Read 752 times)

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
4k streaming box
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »

i am in the process of converting from adsl to fibre.
one of the plans is to go from fhd to 4k netflix which means parting with my roku which only does fhd.

what is a good, recommended 4k streamer which will give similar responsiveness as the roku & won't cost a ridiculous amount.

i am prepared to spend a couple of k but not much more.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: 4k streaming box
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »
I'll have a look for BWS's post about it, but on his recommendation I bought a MXQ Pro 4K box. Cheap-cheap and it works. The first one I bought from Wish and it took a good few weeks to arrive. The 2nd I bought was from a local internet company (Takealot maybe?) that had them on special for around R500. YOu can pick them up at Matrix or elsewhere, but they cost a bit more, methinks over R1000 for the 2Gig/16Gig jobbies. Don't quote me on the prices or space specs, this is from what remains of my memory.

Here's the 1Gig/8Gig option https://www.wish.com/search/-mxq-pro-4k/product/5a727a861c6def32d922789b
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:03:24 PM by vleisman »

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
I'm sure that I read UHD on an Android streamer isn't common, even if the box itself supports UHD ?

EDIT : https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Offline seeyou

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »
Make sure whatever you end up buying is UHD-certified for both Netflix and Youtube, if you watch them. Otherwise you won't get 4K even if you sign up to the top level plan.

Roku also make 4K capable players, by the by - and they are certified.

Consider also though, that most modern TVs have pretty zippy smart application interfaces, and the Netflix / Youtube apps there are more than capable.

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
I should point out that these Android boxes don't work with DSTV, or at least not a Minix or the MXQ that I've tried. No issues with Netflix.

Offline carel1966

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Centurion
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
I would also suggest an Android TV (OS) box, like the Xiaomi MIBOX. These are Google cerified and work with all applications and are more future proof as well . (The others affectively runs standard Android for phones/tablets. A bit confusing, but "Android TV" is the more future proof OS.)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As long as I can still enjoy the music I'm happy.

PS: My listening preference - 90% Stereo Music; 9% Surround Music; 1% Movies and other

Offline Heino13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:56 AM »
My mibox is on order

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Dolby

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »
I should point out that these Android boxes don't work with DSTV, or at least not a Minix or the MXQ that I've tried. No issues with Netflix.

The Telkom LIT box does - but then no Netflix (though I believe this is coming soon). As mentioned though, doubt it'll be UHD

Offline ron g

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
Make sure whatever you end up buying is UHD-certified for both Netflix and Youtube, if you watch them. Otherwise you won't get 4K even if you sign up to the top level plan.
Consider also though, that most modern TVs have pretty zippy smart application interfaces, and the Netflix / Youtube apps there are more than capable.

i tried my tv (samsung 7000 series) built in apps. actually not bad, & they are 4k capable. the only problem is the big, chunky remote with a million buttons.
major reason i like the roku is the small & easy to use remote, so i suspect i will be going for the 4k roku.   :thumbs:
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
Netflix considers these Streaming Media Players to be only ones certified to play Netflix HD video:

Apple TV
Google Chromecast
Roku
Amazon Fire TV
Google Nexus Player
NVIDIA Shield TV

http://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/

Those are the only boxes that will do Netflix 4k, the cheap Chinese ones will not.
Importing made easy!

Offline seeyou

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »
To answer the original question - the Nvidia Shield TV is one of the best, slickest and fastest media players I've ever used.

Offline ron g

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »

wound up ordering a roku ultra - more of the same as i have, but has 4k & hdr.   :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
Once you get it definitely share on what you think of the Ultra
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
Why do you want this is my question surely all 4K smart TV's will be able to stream direct?
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki

Offline Dolby

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »
Why do you want this is my question surely all 4K smart TV's will be able to stream direct?

I gotta be honest - I've really disliked Smart TVs. They've been slow and cumbersome in the past. Although my H7000 wasn't too bad, I still bought an Xbox One to stream media as it was just far better to use.

But.

When I got my KU7000, I changed my mind. The interface was quick and fluid. I use Smart every day and sold off any external streamers that I had before. And that's now 2 generations back - so I'd imagine Smart from 2016 is great.