Apple Airport Express help

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vee

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all - need some advice with the audio lag Im having with my airport express...this is going to be a long story:

I have it connected to my patio setup via the 3.5mm jack. The unit is connected to my downstairs wifi network. My router (TP Link N300 single band) is upstairs and the Downstairs network is provided by a TP Link Powerline Extender. The extender downstairs is in the living room approximately 10m from the Airport express (coincidentally the signal strength is pretty good where the airport express sits - which is in the cupboard on top of the 2ch Amp) There is also a fridge next to the cupboard - I say this as it causes the audio to cut out whenever the fridge door is opened

I am streaming Tidal via the iPad or Macbook Air (the quality of audio from the macbook air is much better than the iPad - discussion for another day)
Music plays fine for a while and then cuts out - when i check the iPad the track is still playing but not airplaying to the airport express - I have to skip a few tracks before airplay resumes. Ive read about network congestion etc etc and I am considering running a network cable from the router upstairs into the Airport express. I recently bought a dual band router from a forum member - my questions/options are:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Run a network cable from the single band router into the Airport express and set it to 'create a network'
[*]Run a network cable from the single band router to the new dual band router which will sit next to the airport express - connect airport express wirelessly to the dual band router on a specific band (2.4ghz)
[/list]

Im thinking option #1 may be best - hoping for some advice/better solution from some of you using Airplay currently - before I start the cabling
Thanks in advance!

Also found this article a useful read
https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/optimize-wifi-network-stream-music-airplay/