Author Topic: Goodmans speaker problem  (Read 366 times)

Offline hillman

Goodmans speaker problem
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
Hello to all.

Thanks to the Admin for allowing me access to this forum, this is my first posting.

Around 1990 I was able to purchase some Goodman speakers from Hamrad (remember them?) in Cape Town, they were in fine audio condition but a cat had raked one speaker face and the owner no longer wanted them.

I also purchased a Sony amp with a radio receiver in it, the amp output was just 25 watt but it was ample for my purpose, the amp powered the Goodmans and was linked to a Yamaha turntable and Aiwa cassette tape player.

The system went into storage while I went of sailing and was only brought back into use about five years back, no issues to begin with then one Goodmans speaker started to have a frequency issue, bass is fine lts the higher notes and often with a female voive.

http://ckdboats.blogspot.com/2012/06/goodman-mezzo-2-speaker-capacitors.html

Please view the link, you will find an earlier on in the first page which shows where I started.

As things are now I have change the capacitors and with no change in audio on the speaker that is at fault.

Can any forum member advise me on what I can do to test further?

Thanks for looking,

Regards Roy, Hout Bay

Offline Kent Kassler

Re: Goodmans speaker problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:45:04 PM »
Hi Roy.....if you spread your fingers out wide and press gently with equal pressure on the midbass driver....is it's travel free or "scratchy"....magnet sagging can cause the voicecoil to go out of alignment and will present itself as distortion such as that which you describe.
You may have to remove the driver to check if you cannot access the cone from the front as the cloth is fixed.
Cheers Andre.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:55:57 PM by Kent Kassler »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline hillman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Kent, thanks on your reply. Is that condition terminal as it a new speaker is required?

I am going to view a pair of Goodmans Magnum K speakers this morning, larger but better I hope? Roy

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »
Not terminal at all.... if the cone is scratchy it will just require re-alignment.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline hillman

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
Thanks on this good news, can you please explain how I should do that.

The front panel on the speakers is fixed so I need to unbolt the speaker from inside.

I drove a long way today inspect the pair of Goodman Magnum K speakers, they are in nice condition when the age is concerned, the dealer offered a return policy if they do not perform, so I now have them and have done a short test here at home, they seem fine.

The only complaint is how heavy they are!  was it 26kgs I read?

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Remove the driver from the rear to check.